Falken AT3W

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is the tread depth and aggressiveness in person comparable to the BFG KA02?

I may actually give them a shot.

Yes and yes. Tread depth is 18.5/32's vs 15/32's for the BFG and the tread is spread out a little more. It seems better in every way with the exception of the weight, if that matters to you?

Here is a pic I pulled from another forum of 35x12.50R17 tread

Attachments

• 35125017 FALKEN.jpg
    35125017 FALKEN.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 121
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott

The Side lugs look a little tighter maybe.
It’s a meaty looking tire though.

I’m not worried about the weight with the cast rims.

Interestingly enough.... I think the truck might feel a little more secure with the load E rating. It seems like stock, it’s a little bit “rubbery” at times over bigger bumps and such and when cornering. It has a long soft suspension but I think the C rated tires are pretty bouncy and a little bit stiffer sidewall may make it a little less bouncy on the road and a little more sure-footed.

Hmmm. Looking at my current rubber I have about one more rotation before I’m done with them. They’ll make it about 25,000 Miles. If I wanted to push it, I could get 40, but I’m not that high on the KO2 at this point. The traction is fine, but the handling is as above.

QUOTE=CUSTOMWHEELS4U;1201730]Yes and yes. Tread depth is 18.5/32's vs 15/32's for the BFG and the tread is spread out a little more. It seems better in every way with the exception of the weight, if that matters to you?

Here is a pic I pulled from another forum of 35x12.50R17 tread[/QUOTE]

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Scott

The Side lugs look a little tighter maybe.
It’s a meaty looking tire though.

I’m not worried about the weight with the cast rims.

Interestingly enough.... I think the truck might feel a little more secure with the load E rating. It seems like stock, it’s a little bit “rubbery” at times over bigger bumps and such and when cornering. It has a long soft suspension but I think the C rated tires are pretty bouncy and a little bit stiffer sidewall may make it a little less bouncy on the road and a little more sure-footed.

Hmmm. Looking at my current rubber I have about one more rotation before I’m done with them. They’ll make it about 25,000 Miles. If I wanted to push it, I could get 40, but I’m not that high on the KO2 at this point. The traction is fine, but the handling is as above.

The side lugs are raised as high as the BFG just a little more spread out.

As far as ride goes, it's hard to say, sometimes a stiffer sidewall can cause an even bouncier ride if the truck is too light. My 10 ply RT's feel bouncy on my G1 unless I have some weight in the bed and I run them at around 38psi. I don't have any experience with the new C rated BFG so I can't really make a good comparison. All that aside I think the Falken looks better and will perform better in mud and/or snow for sure.

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I talked to the owner of my former local tire shop yesterday. He says that the brass at BFG are pissed off about how good the Falken WildPeak AT3W is. It beat the KO2's in every area....dry, wet, sand, dirt, mud, durability, snow, and most importantly in price.
He's been in the tire business 50+ years and never seen such rave reviews and testing in any tire. His store carries all the major brands, and he says the Falken's are taking off like no other tire he's ever seen...

eastreich

Reaction score
I've got about 30,000 miles with them on my '14 and I am at just about 50% tread depth remaining. A way better tire than the KO2s I had on my previous 06 F150 Screw which were shot by the same mileage. They have been great on the highway and phenomenal when playing in the dirt. Rocks will chew them up a fair bit with all the stock siping if you are really heavy on the throttle in those conditions.

I worked in tire shops for a long time (as a part time job to support my bad habits and have access to a lift after hours) and can honestly say I haven't seen anything better than these Falkens regardless of price. I did not buy the tires on my Raptor as the dealer installed them just before I picked it up. I was like, yay new tires but also knew they were cheaper than most other options and I planned to replace them quickly with KO2s. I am going to replace them next Fall, but with another set of AT3Ws.

Kojack19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to bump this thread as I am in need of new tires soon. Anyone made the swith to Falkens recently? I live in NE so rain, snow and sand way more important than mud. Options are the AT3s, GY Duratracs or sticking with the BFGs. I like that there is a slightly larger 35x12.5 option on this and the duratrac. The BFGs are soo bad in the rain.