Factory Spare location, extra lock needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in AZ and we hear all the time about spare tires being stolen from under SUVs and Pickups. The SVT Beadlock would be a target I think. does anyone have a recommendation? I hear cable locks don't stop the thieves as they carry a bolt cutter and steal by cutting the end off the cable hoist to steal the tire as plan A. A cable lock just means one more cut.

I ordered this tire lock and I am sending it back. It's very crude and the way it's designed it will scrape the crap out of your wheels. I recommend against ordering this one. It was also $167 :Insane:

FORD F 150 TRUCK SPARE TIRE LOCK ANTI-THEFT DEVICE (BOLTCUTTER PROOF PAT PEND) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Suggestions appreciated...joe

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How accessible is the cable from underneath the truck? I've never really looked at it. Just know that when I took the spare down to get the exhaust out it was a PITA. Unlock this, connect this, turn this, remove that, wiggle tire out, etc.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How accessible is the cable from underneath the truck? I've never really looked at it. Just know that when I took the spare down to get the exhaust out it was a PITA. Unlock this, connect this, turn this, remove that, wiggle tire out, etc.
sounds like when i have to take a **** really bad......

OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The end of the cable sticks out below the tire when you slide under the truck. I work for a large company and we have waves where 10 or more people will get their spares stolen. They apparently use a bolt cutter to cut the crimped on end of the cable off. Then the bracket under the wheel slides off the end of the cable the tire is off. Then you need to replace the cable mechanism and the tire and wheel.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Was the only issue with the one you ordered the possibility of messing up the rim? I'm sure you could fab something similar but it would probably do the same thing.

OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a huge amount of foam tape to pad and when intried to install the parts don't tighten together. The largevisc on the bottom just hangs from the bracket that drops down through two lug holes. I started to design a fix ad thn realized that for $169 it was just crap. At least if you have nice wheels.

OP
OP
AZEngineer

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I purchased via Amazon and the vendor accepted the refund but I'm out $30 shipping. The vendor said in the email that it was only for steel wheels. Nothing on Amazon about that. I'd say its only for steel wheels that's you want scratched to shit

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, you could get two or three of those and put them on top of the spare going to the frame so even if they cut the main spare cable, they would have to find a way to cut those off as well, which wouldn't be easy since they couldn't get bolt cutters up in there