Factory bead lock bolt question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

navywolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All black oxide coated steel will rust by just glancing at it. I would not use allen head bolts either- they are nice looking, but those can be a nightmare to remove. Especially the cheap ones, they strip out easy with the soft crappy metal. If you are using US made grade 5 or better, then maybe.

Stay with me on this. Couldn't find a better thread to explain and ask my question in without starting up a brand new Beadlock Thread.

I picked up a set of beadlocks and they came with off road rings, no beauty rings (just figured that out today).

The guy I purchased from said he had the bolts in a box and handed it to me. He mentioned he was missing a few.

Like an idiot, for the money I said that was fine and moved on with the sale. There were 48 "bolts" included and appear to be Grade 2 Hex Head bolts, not the OEM bolts that came with the beadlock kit.

So my predicament is buy $1000 worth of bolts (CRAZY!). Go with $800 for new beadlock kits for all wheels (4). Or, and here's the big question(s);

Can I run hex head bolts on a beadlock rim safely??? Is grade 2 acceptable from a safety stand point? Go grade 5 or 8?

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is stainless cap screws. However aluminium and stainless really fight.

navywolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score

highpowernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say bolts , but not sure. Grade 2 bolts? From China or what.
Would not go below a 5 .
8 would be ok but hard is not always good.
Just my .02

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 8.8's hex with a built in washer (which is something like a grade 5) IIRC. I have to count mine today to make sure I have them all, so I can get more info for you. I'm sure you can get some from fastenal or similar, not a big deal since you probably want them all to match anyway.

Another question is do you want to run true beadlocks or sell them and get beauty rings.

highpowernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are 8.8's hex with a built in washer (which is something like a grade 5) IIRC. I have to count mine today to make sure I have them all, so I can get more info for you. I'm sure you can get some from fastenal or similar, not a big deal since you probably want them all to match anyway.

Another question is do you want to run true beadlocks or sell them and get beauty rings.

Yes , 8.8 is grade 5 in metric. Do they have a washer or flange hex head bolt?
Probably the latter. And you should be able to get a box or two from a hardware supply. Don't buy loose bolts as the price jumps a lot on individual pieces. Look for 2 one hundred count boxes and have a couple spare.

b8d3740fec5c3ddd97fe02d1b5936738.jpg
This is a what I believe you need, be sure to not order the serrated type as they will tear up aluminum rings

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's a crappy pic. The bolt is flanged and has a washer.

I'm not great with bolts, so maybe someone can convert this info.

Head diameter 13mm
Shank dia 9.4mm
Thread diameter is 9.8mm
Root Dia 7.5mm

Length is 40, including the 5mm non threaded tip.

Bolt_zps5xhgi3tb.jpg

highpowernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's a crappy pic. The bolt is flanged and has a washer.

I'm not great with bolts, so maybe someone can convert this info.

Head diameter 13mm

Shank dia 9.4mm

Thread diameter is 9.8mm

Root Dia 7.5mm

Length is 40, including the 5mm non threaded tip.

Bolt_zps5xhgi3tb.jpg

That is a special bolt , not uncommon in automotive. Will be hard to match exactly outside of fomoco.

If you only need a couple, I'd go with ford. If you want to change, find the best match you can.