Does the weight make a difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the less unsprung weight you have the better. I want to go 18" fuel trophy wheels with duratracs but it look like it would be 4 lbs per wheel and 4 lbs per tire more than a comparable 17" set up.

My question, would the 8 lbs only make a difference in my head? Wanting the lightest set up possible for performance and mileage aspects, so hate to add 8 lbs per corner for just aesthetics.

OP
OP
nsdq3

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just hate adding an exhaust, tune and intake to get the best performance and then do something completely contradictory for looks only.

I wonder if there has ever been any testing (0-60, 1/4 mile, etc) comparing the advantage of less rotating mass. It sucks being **** about this shit :)

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know what u mean. Tire weight is near the top of my concerns when I am ready to buy new tires. That's the only reason why I won't buy the toyo mt's. They are another 20lbs per tire....

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Lol I hear you nick. I went with an 18" method mesh and 315/70r18 toyo mts and its very very heavy. I lost the weight savings of a lighter rim to the tire.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I definitely can feel additional unsprung weight.

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question because my son is in the process of getting some Method NV wheels and some 35/12.5R17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires and we were just discussing weight also. He has stock Raptor wheels and I was telling him that hopefully wheel weight savings would offset some of the added tire weight. Anyone know on this setup?

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure this nittos weigh about 20 more pounds than the OEMS. Dont think the methods will drop much weight at all

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Unsprung weight makes a huge difference. 8lbs may not seem like much but I bet you notice it.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I put new tires on the can am just so you know it makes a huge difference. It went from snappy to crappy ok not that bad but I'm not putting on the black water on again.