D or E rated tire is best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madmax

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post. I've done a lot of reading and searching on the forum with no answer so I'm gonna ask. After a lot of googling and ready all the tire threads on this site I've decided to go with the nitto trail grappler. My question is i see a size 315/70/17 which is a D rated tire 76 pounds and a size 35/12.5/17 which is E rated at 79 pounds. Any suggestions on which one I should get for the raptor and why? Thanks for the help.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post. I've done a lot of reading and searching on the forum with no answer so I'm gonna ask. After a lot of googling and ready all the tire threads on this site I've decided to go with the nitto trail grappler. My question is i see a size 315/70/17 which is a D rated tire 76 pounds and a size 35/12.5/17 which is E rated at 79 pounds. Any suggestions on which one I should get for the raptor and why? Thanks for the help.

The D will ride a little softer and less weight is a plus. Personally that's what I'd go with.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the D as well.
It still has more load capacity than the stock C’s, but will be a nicer ride than the E’s.

I had a set of the Trail Grapplers on my last truck. I love how they don’t kick up stones, or load up with gravel in the tread. I also found them great in the winter?!? I think the fact they don’t immediately load up with snow keeps them chugging through the snow better than expected.

Post up some pics when you get them.

OP
OP
M

Madmax

Reaction score
Thanks for the help . I don't tow or haul anything. So I'm buying D which is cheaper too. Thanks again for the advice. Pics to follow.

JumpinJax

Reaction score
The D will ride a little softer and less weight is a plus. Personally that's what I'd go with.

Good to know. Had to order new tires just recently and went with D rating for the softer and lower weight factor. I had BFG Ko2 E rating prior, but not sure how harder those are compared to the Toyo Open Country MT I decided to order.