Black lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will start by saying the stock Ford lug nuts SUCK, like REALLY SUCK. I have had my rims off and on a few times and am constantly chipping edges off the stock lug nuts or causing damage to them taking them off, they are made of some Chinese buttery metal. I needed to replace them with something sturdier and wanted black ones.

So I have seen a bunch of threads about black lug nuts for the Raptor. I kept reading conflicting stories about what will work and what won't, I even found some threads about older variants of black lug nuts that didn't end up fitting. I decided to go to the source of the items at the vendor.

I called John over at Gorilla and asked them if they made lug nuts that would fit the stock Raptor limited edition rims. He explained to me that for a long time they made only one type of lug nut and it "basically" fit the Raptor wheels, but it wasn't perfect. They decided to make an exact replica of the Ford acorn lug nut and make it in black. He said they only released it two months ago so any part numbers or information was now superseded.

He gave me the new part number 61108CXLBC

I could only find it at SFX Performance and ordered a set (This is not plug for them, I just googled the part number and they had them in stock).

Upon examination they look really really close to the stock acorn lug nuts, the bevel is just a bit wider at the top on the stock ones, but when I put them on the truck about the same amount of are is visible in the lug hole. they are pretty damm close.

I am going to drive around for a bit and have my torque wrench in my truck, and will periodically check them to see if there is any movement on them.

NOLA

P.S. I am not playing the "rotate the picture cause the forum code changes it" game,….Luckily they are wheels and look the same at all four quadrants :)

Attachments

• lugs2.jpg
    lugs2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 148
  • lugs1.jpg
    lugs1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 162

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I dunno about releasing them two months ago. I bought that part number and had them on my truck almost exactly a year ago. They held up great until I decided to jump on the Method bandwagon this year. Using the Gorilla black splined lug nuts now.

The stock lug nuts do indeed suck. Soft shell over a traditional open lug nut. The Gorilla lug nuts are forged solid pieces.

OP
OP
N

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno, Vash, just going with what the guy said. He seemed pretty knowledgable, and spent a little while explaining stuff to me. I am just happy to have them on there. They seem really solid in comparison.

Any issues with yours ? Check torque on them after driving a bit ?

NOLA

D

Deleted member 12951

I bought those same ones a year ago and they have been holding up great on the road and off road. Have a thread here myself complaining about the stock chrome caps coming off and swelling, then bought those black ones.

I am very happy with them and really glad I got them. When I was in Baja there was a day that just seemed like you were in a paint can being shaken for hours. I was told to recheck the torque after that day and every lugnut was torqued, not a one loosen, so they hold torque great! They do get marked up some but what lugnuts don't.

Here is a picture after a year and being a tad dirty

b6836ac3d73b588c33be723e1f3109a7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@NOLA No issues with torque on mine. I always do a retorque after driving a bit. After the initial retorque, they were fine.

D

Deleted member 12951

What ft lbs do you do and what wrench are you guys using?

The package will tell you something like 80lbs but I asked this same question a year ago when I installed them. Torque them to 150ft-lbs just like stock and it uses the same 21mm deep socket.

For the record, I carry a set of stock lugnuts (6) with me, just incase....

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't have a package insert or anything. I did 150lbs like the stock ones.

If those pieces of crap can take the torque, these can.

I did drive for about 60 miles and recheck em and found two that needed a little bump and came a tiny bit loose. So I will recheck again in a few days.

NOLA

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
61148BCX Black Gorilla Nuts. Just ordered these for the 2017 with factory rims. Look like they will work.