BFGs dry rotting - Ford warranty comes up big!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine was every morning. The plastic sheet that is held to actual door with glue was falling off and laying against the door panel when it was cold. The cold caused the glue not to stick. But as soon as it got warm it was nice and tacky again and the rattle would go away. I removed the glue and applied some 3m double sided tape and then put foam on the plastic sheet to keep it from touching the panel. No rattles since.

The rattle is actually the door lock indicator. It's rattled on the last 3 f-150 I have had. Some surgical tubing does the trick, no more rattle

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off for a trans service. Mentioned the dry rotting 2-year old, 9,000 mile tires (since I ran DuraTracs for winter), and they prompted me to call BFG. I called BFG and they will work with the dealer to determine coverage. If covered, I'm going to opt for the KM2's instead in 35x12.5.... crossing my fingers.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just dropped my truck off for a trans service. Mentioned the dry rotting 2-year old, 9,000 mile tires (since I ran DuraTracs for winter), and they prompted me to call BFG. I called BFG and they will work with the dealer to determine coverage. If covered, I'm going to opt for the KM2's instead in 35x12.5.... crossing my fingers.

When mine rotted at 10k and less than a year they pro-rated them based on tread depth. I ended up getting $150 a tire.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine were warrantied from Discount tire. moved up to the KO 2 bfgs. nice tires. I already have the Grabbers on the raptor. soooo I put the new ones on my jeep.

Attachments

• 205.jpg
    205.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 123

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Kinda, but I'm not too worried about winter driving, as that's what the DuraTracs are for.

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

BFG will cover 77% of the cost, so they'd be KO2's, but I'm going to work with them on KM2's instead... sweet.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Talked to them about going KM2's, and their offer stands with any of their tires, so now I'm going to see if they'll offer that for my secondary spare as well off @Rookie's truck! Good news is, I'll get these done after I get back from putting another 3,500+ miles on them from my Vegas trip!

Supercup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a little of the dry rot in mine, but my issue is I have chunking in my tread - so chunks of tread have come out. I have 2014 with 24.5k miles - 10 months old - been offroad 1 time.

The chunking is typical of what you might see in street tires if you go to the track and overheat them - pieces of rubber come out in chunks.

Will ask next time I am in what is up. Two tires are worse than the other two - but all 4 have it.

dogknat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same dry rot you just posted but like some others here my dealer just told me to live with it. Glad it worked out for you.