BFGs dry rotting - Ford warranty comes up big!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 20k on mine and have the same issue. I really believe that the quality of the rubber has gone down significantly in the last 10 years or so. I used to be able to run boat trailer tires for 10 years or more before they would start to rot. Now they are checking the year after I buy them. I'll talk to Ford about it but it seems like a long shot at best.

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I had the same issue and outcome on my 2010 raptor back in 2011. I received a set of new tires covered under Ford warranty - not one interaction with the tire manufacturer. There's a thread somewhere on here from that issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I noticed my stock BFGs were cracking out between the lugs on all 4 tires the other day. So when I brought it in for a service I mentioned it to the service manager. Michelin wouldn't touch it because I'm technically the second owner. (Bought it with 2k miles...) Ford bumper-to-bumper came up pretty big and is going to cover 70% for replacements with 19,000 miles on the truck. I'm kinda bummed because I wanted to go another direction with tires, but I think I have them talked into hooking me up with K/O2s if they can get them ordered... Anyone else have their stockers replaced with the Ford warranty? I think my service manager went to bat for me which is HUGE! I guess it's time to order Methods sooner than planned. Just wanted to share a good story about warranty when I know how many horror stories are out there!

This is awesome, MTRazz; thanks for sharing your story with us! If you'd like to make this feedback "official" in our system, just send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics you'd like me to include. :)

Crystal

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP, congrats on having a dealership that takes care of you. Mine sucks. Had a rattle that wouldn't go away, made the service adviser ride with me to hear it and even when riding with he denied that he heard anything. Nothing major just a subtle yet constant plastic on plastic rattle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBc1o4MxpiY

I've since fixed it myself

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
To the OP, congrats on having a dealership that takes care of you. Mine sucks. Had a rattle that wouldn't go away, made the service adviser ride with me to hear it and even when riding with he denied that he heard anything. Nothing major just a subtle yet constant plastic on plastic rattle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBc1o4MxpiY

I've since fixed it myself

I heard this noise while out in Death Valley on a really bad washboard road. I haven't replicated it though since... what was the fix?

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard this noise while out in Death Valley on a really bad washboard road. I haven't replicated it though since... what was the fix?

Mine was every morning. The plastic sheet that is held to actual door with glue was falling off and laying against the door panel when it was cold. The cold caused the glue not to stick. But as soon as it got warm it was nice and tacky again and the rattle would go away. I removed the glue and applied some 3m double sided tape and then put foam on the plastic sheet to keep it from touching the panel. No rattles since.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 142

6cuda6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn...mine are like that and perhaps worse...never thought of asking for warranty on them...let's see what happens tomorrow as it goes in for an oil change and tire rotation.