Bead lock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not to be a jerk but have you owned a truck before? Or went off roading? If not, a Raptor may be over kill for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

OP
OP
R

Rogillio

Reaction score
Not to be a jerk but have you owned a truck before? Or went off roading? If not, a Raptor may be over kill for you

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Only go off-reading when I need to....such as for hunting. I've owned at least one truck for 30 years. Currently own 3 F150s - 2014 Raptor, 2010 STX and 2008 4x4. Raptor is probably "overkill" but it looks cool.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I didn't own a truck or go offroading before the raptor, I do just fine :challenge: just cause someone doesn't know everything about a particular activity doesn't mean they wouldn't be good at it, to the op, I believe there are threads on the forum that talk about bead locks in depth, maybe try searching for them, if you can't find them I'm sure those of us that know more about them will tell you about them, my first recommendation is to not run bead locks until you know more about them, but you can get Ford's "bead lock" wheels and run the beauty ring which mounts them just like normal wheels until you do know whether you really want to run them as true bead locks or not

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Raptor being overkill? Hahaa... he bought a F150 with some bigger tires and an appearance package, not a prerunner. Geeze dude...

Rogillio, bead locks are a type of rim or feature to a bead lock compatible rim that essentially provides a lock for the tire and rim. You can run a much lower psi in your tires and not have to worry about popping the bead.

OP
OP
R

Rogillio

Reaction score
Raptor being overkill? Hahaa... he bought a F150 with some bigger tires and an appearance package, not a prerunner. Geeze dude...

Rogillio, bead locks are a type of rim or feature to a bead lock compatible rim that essentially provides a lock for the tire and rim. You can run a much lower psi in your tires and not have to worry about popping the bead.

This makes sense. Got it. Thanks!

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is the basic explanation of them, before running true bead locks you should seriously research them, they have to be maintained much more than regular mounted wheels and tires, it's not a simple decision if you're going to run them, the main thing is are you going to take advantage of them? If you aren't you're better off regular mounting them, if you are, the next question is are you going to maintain them well enough to keep them safe

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think this forum is building up the idea of a "prerunner" into more than what it really is, there is a difference between a "prerunner" and a built truck that's not used for racing purposes, literally anything can be a prerunner, I'm sure the bug class has stock bugs as their prerunners