Anyone running the Toyo Opencountry R/T??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just about due for a new set of tires at 41k miles. My truck, unfortunately, is basically a street queen with worst it goes down being the occasional dirt road. From what I've read the R/T is supposed to have good tread wear and a pretty quiet ride (I'd be happy if they're as quiet as the stock tires)... Living in MA it will see winter weather and snow so that's a consideration also. I like the more aggressive tread pattern over the K02 but some real world experience will help, thanks!

Castrol27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Toyo R/T's 37x12.5x17's for a couple months now, roughly 4k miles. They are quiet which is nice and seem to be a really good tire. Can't weigh in on how well they wear however. Based on the amount of time your truck spends on the pavement I don't think you can go wrong with R/T's.

OP
OP
Jme

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running Toyo R/T's 37x12.5x17's for a couple months now, roughly 4k miles. They are quiet which is nice and seem to be a really good tire. Can't weigh in on how well they wear however. Based on the amount of time your truck spends on the pavement I don't think you can go wrong with R/T's.

Great, thanks. Do you have any pics of your truck with the 37's on it? I was planning on 35's, should I be worried about any rubbing with 37's on pavement?

Castrol27

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks. Do you have any pics of your truck with the 37's on it? I was planning on 35's, should I be worried about any rubbing with 37's on pavement?

I'm running RPG BOLT kit and glass fenders. You are more than likely better sticking with 35's unless you are going to spend a bunch of $$$ on suspension mods...

Attachments

• RPG Bolt.jpg
    RPG Bolt.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 263

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The RT's are smooth and quiet but winter traction isn't great. Duratrac, Nitto Exo Grapplers or the new Falken AT3 are all winter rated. The Falken is getting pretty good reviews and has a pretty nice sidewall design.

OP
OP
Jme

Jme

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RT's are smooth and quiet but winter traction isn't great. Duratrac, Nitto Exo Grapplers or the new Falken AT3 are all winter rated. The Falken is getting pretty good reviews and has a pretty nice sidewall design.

thanks for the info... what about the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I really like the more MT styled tread pattern and reviews are good so far regarding road noise but seeing as how they just came out recently I haven't read anything on winter use yet. One forum that I happened across had someone that was saying a Nitto rep told him they were supposed to be almost as good or better than the Exo Grapplers in snow (I know, don't believe everything you read on the internet, lol). Just wondering if you've heard anything about their year round usefulness? Thanks!

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thanks for the info... what about the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers? I really like the more MT styled tread pattern and reviews are good so far regarding road noise but seeing as how they just came out recently I haven't read anything on winter use yet. One forum that I happened across had someone that was saying a Nitto rep told him they were supposed to be almost as good or better than the Exo Grapplers in snow (I know, don't believe everything you read on the internet, lol). Just wondering if you've heard anything about their year round usefulness? Thanks!

Toyo and Nitto are the same company. The Ridge Grappler is the sister tire to the Toyo RT. Same wear and similar traction qualities. They are both fine in deep snow but it's the lack of siping that makes them scary in the ice/hard pack. That Nitto "rep" might have only been referring to deep snow... Duratrac is the most mud looking tire while having good ice/hard pack traction.

JnJraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up some 37" RT's. Loving the look. Too soon to give a performance review but love how quiet they are.

Attachments

• IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 366