Any disappointments with Toyo M/T?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOLA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bigrig, nope, thats how they are….Wanna feel terrifying…On the open road with no cars around move ur wheel to one side then the next, then back real quick….the "sway" they have side to side is really scary….

But overall, they are great tires….Minimal noise for an M/T…I don't notice them till about 85-90…

But holy **** they are heavy….Without doubt you will loose 1MPG from them.

NOLA

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can eliminate some of the mushiness by increasing the air pressure. I believe my brother runs his at 55 psi (be sure to check the sidewall first). I like my truck loose, though. I usually run 40 front and 38 rear.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can eliminate some of the mushiness by increasing the air pressure. I believe my brother runs his at 55 psi (be sure to check the sidewall first). I like my truck loose, though. I usually run 40 front and 38 rear.

Thanks Truckzor, I will try a higher air pressure. Hoping not to hijack this thread but what is the pressure you guys run the Toyo MTs offroad? I was running 20psi with the BFG ATs on stock wheels with good luck but since the Toyo sidewall is so thick I was thinking I might be able to go a little lower.

Last edited:

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Is pricing in line with other premium Mud terrain tires? I have about 5k miles left on my Bfg Ko's so these will be on my short list.

The prices from what I've seen are very comparable to any other high end mud tire. I paid a little over 500 CAD a tire for mine. Not sure what they go for in the States

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

I have been driving on the Toyo Open Country MT 35x12.5r17 tires for 1000 miles and at at this point I am disappointed in the tires. The road ride, when compared to the stock BFG KO2 ATs feels very loose and a little out of control. It feels like there is more float in the steering than before.

I am thinking they may need to be balanced again but I don't think that is going to fix all my concerns. After reading all the incredible reviews on this tire, I am concerned that something is wrong with mine. Any suggestions would be welcome, FordFanStan's comment about road-force balancing seems like a good place to start.

Definitely sounds like something is wrong. Do you have after market rims by any chance? Because that's exactly what happened to my buddies truck when he put method rims and General Grabbers on his raptor. The weights kept falling off and he had to go get beads put in his tires to balance them out

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving on the Toyo Open Country MT 35x12.5r17 tires for 1000 miles and at at this point I am disappointed in the tires. The road ride, when compared to the stock BFG KO2 ATs feels very loose and a little out of control. It feels like there is more float in the steering than before.

I am thinking they may need to be balanced again but I don't think that is going to fix all my concerns. After reading all the incredible reviews on this tire, I am concerned that something is wrong with mine. Any suggestions would be welcome, FordFanStan's comment about road-force balancing seems like a good place to start.

I need to amend my comment here. This weekend I took the truck out to some BLM land near Carson City. I aired down the tires and took them to task.
  • 85mph+ over long stretches
  • 45mph over some pretty harsh terrain
  • 30mph over some whoops that scrambled an egg salad sandwich I had in my cooler

These tires were at home on all parts of the trail, they commanded confidence, much more than I had with the BFG KO2 ATs. We went through some sharp rock areas and I didn't notice any damage, nicks, or any real marks on the side walls. One person in our group with Goodyear Duratracs got a two inch hole punched into his, so I know the rocks were out there.

The crazy part is when I aired back up when leaving, all of a sudden the tires felt good on the road. It makes me think that the tire shop didn't air them up to the 44 ft/lbs that the truck is spec'd at (I feel stupid for not checking). I also thought that the tire might break in or stretch causing the drifting feeling on the road (could that be a thing?)

I am a happy camper now and am liking the tires. I think the BFG KO2 ATs have better road manners, but now the difference isn't as severe. Hands down though, for off-road, Toyo Open Country MT are my choice.

Just so we keep the thread on track, Sharkus29 thanks for the comment, I am running stock wheels.

Last edited:

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score

One more update to my original comment. I brought the truck in to check if the wheels were properly balanced. It turned out that they were about 4 oz out of balance! I got that fixed, no more steering wheel wobble, and the truck feels solid again. I am not sure what happened on the day I got the tires mounted but someone was having a bad day an they took it out on my truck. Glad to have everything working properly again!