Any disappointments with Toyo M/T?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Toyo MT's are made in America and are very high quality. I purchased mine about 3 years ago. Every place in the U.S. I contacted was out of the 35x12.5r17 at the time (all the tire distributors) and they were on national back-order, but just so happens SDHQ had a full set in their showroom so I snatched them up. So far I have put about 35k miles on them, (few thousand have been offroad miles) and they still have about 7-9/32"s of tread left.
When I first installed them I had them road-force balanced and they were so smooth. That specialty shop even mentioned these 35's took less weight and were easier to balance than most of the performance street car tires they install.
When I had them swapped to the Methods I bought the shack of a shop did not balance them well, nor on a road-force balancer so now I have a little bit of a wobble I need to take care of.
my .02

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll mirror Shooters comments, extra weight is worth the peace of mind. They have served me very well over the years.

I have had 3 sets of Toyo MT on my truck. I've gotten very good mileage out of my first 2 sets, easy to balance, everything has been great with them. My first 2 sets were the 37X13.5's. My new set is the 37X12.5's. I had an extremely hard time finding these in this size. Once I did see them in person the rubber looked a bit different than I was used to, a lot more shiny on the side walls. But I thought nothing of it, purely cosmetic. Well I have put a total of 1,200 miles on them in 1 trip and then the following day I put 50 miles of offroad in AZ desert. After that excursion, the tires have chunked on all 4 but 2 are really bad. Again, I have never had this issue on the previous 2 sets and had much more miles on and offroad with both sets. I am stopping by Discount Tire on Thursday to see if they will contact Toyo and replace. One other thing I will add, I have never had the KO2's but I can bet you that these will pick up more rocks.

Another member at Havoc last year had a new set of Toyos that looked very similar, his were brand new as well. Sounds potentially like a couple bad batches.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had my M/T's on my truck for over 30 000km's now. I daily drive it and off road it every once and a while and they are holding up great. The only down side as mentioned before is that they are pretty damn heavy. But by far the best tire I personally have had on my truck. I don't think ill ever go to a different tire now. Love em!

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much road noise? My truck is a daily driver and mostly desert/dry offroading, not much mud, but some snow in the winter. I would like to go more aggressive but havent run mud terrain tires for awhile now on my other trucks because of the short lifespan and noise. Sounds like they have a good tread life.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much road noise? My truck is a daily driver and mostly desert/dry offroading, not much mud, but some snow in the winter. I would like to go more aggressive but havent run mud terrain tires for awhile now on my other trucks because of the short lifespan and noise. Sounds like they have a good tread life.

Well, my truck is so f'in loud with the 50" LED roof bar and the Stainless Works exhaust that I don't notice the tires!

Will they be louder than stock? Sure. But it's worth it IMHO.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm honestly shocked at how quiet these tires are. They aren't very loud at all. And tread life on them is great!

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm honestly shocked at how quiet these tires are. They aren't very loud at all. And tread life on them is great!

Good to know. Is pricing in line with other premium Mud terrain tires? I have about 5k miles left on my Bfg Ko's so these will be on my short list.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been driving on the Toyo Open Country MT 35x12.5r17 tires for 1000 miles and at at this point I am disappointed in the tires. The road ride, when compared to the stock BFG KO2 ATs feels very loose and a little out of control. It feels like there is more float in the steering than before.

I am thinking they may need to be balanced again but I don't think that is going to fix all my concerns. After reading all the incredible reviews on this tire, I am concerned that something is wrong with mine. Any suggestions would be welcome, FordFanStan's comment about road-force balancing seems like a good place to start.