Any disappointments with Toyo M/T?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dang472

Reaction score
I'm trying to narrow down my new tire purchase. My raptor isn't a daily driver and will maybe see 5K miles a year. Mostly street but I do hit a lot of hunting land for predators. I'm keeping my stock wheels and tires for winter. I was originally set on the K02s but even these seem to pick up a lot of rocks. I'm sticking with 35s.

Is there anything the M/Ts do that I'll find really disappointing?

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Great tire. They are super heavy though. At 5k a year they'll probably dry rot before they wear out. The RT is a good alternative if weight matters to you. It's about 10lbs lighter and does not pick up rocks like the BFG either.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of us boys in Chicago run the M/T. Knock on wood, we haven't had a single flat. Dare I say they're bomber. I daily drive mine, and they have been great for me during all seasons. I'm very pleased leading groups for the snoball, and also in the sand and mud. yes they weight more than most, but what you loose in fuel economy you make up for in piece of mind and performance.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 sets of Toyo MT on my truck. I've gotten very good mileage out of my first 2 sets, easy to balance, everything has been great with them. My first 2 sets were the 37X13.5's. My new set is the 37X12.5's. I had an extremely hard time finding these in this size. Once I did see them in person the rubber looked a bit different than I was used to, a lot more shiny on the side walls. But I thought nothing of it, purely cosmetic. Well I have put a total of 1,200 miles on them in 1 trip and then the following day I put 50 miles of offroad in AZ desert. After that excursion, the tires have chunked on all 4 but 2 are really bad. Again, I have never had this issue on the previous 2 sets and had much more miles on and offroad with both sets. I am stopping by Discount Tire on Thursday to see if they will contact Toyo and replace. One other thing I will add, I have never had the KO2's but I can bet you that these will pick up more rocks.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Tire 2.jpg
    Tire 2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 168
  • tire 3.jpg
    tire 3.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
D

dang472

Reaction score
That's the first I've heard about them picking up rocks. The BFGs are notorious for that and while the K02s were supposed to be better, a friend said they still pepper his truck. Thanks for the review, hopefully you just got a bad batch.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Toyo MTs are night and day better than KOs in gravel. The MTs hardly pick any up. The KOs were awful. Since I have a few gravel roads I frequent that's reason enough to go with the MTs. YMMV. I think it depends a lot on the size/shape of the gravel or rocks or whatever.

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I should have chose my words better there. I honestly have no way to compare how many rocks the MT's vs. the KO2's will pick up. I do know that my MT's do pick up rocks. The bad thing that I do notice is that it is not really gravel size that they pick up and fling but some big ass rocks.

The other thing that I will say is that I do recommend the MT's. They have been far better than any other off road tire in my experience, however limited that might be. I love these tires, just need to figure out what went wrong with my new set.