Advice on Wheels for Excursion (Flame On?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrison600

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know it's not a Raptor, but the Raptor crowd seems to be one of the most familiar with the Method style of wheel as well as OMF lock rings, so I thought I'd turn here for advice.

I have a 2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4, white. I've been shopping for wheels for a while and have finalized on 2 options from American Eagle. I like that they are American Made, and the two options have removable bolts, so I can add OMF street rings to them as well.

Whatever I go with I'll do a 17 x 9 with a 35x12.5 tire.

Series 012 looks like the Method Standard:

ae_series_012_black_w_polished.png

(The 012 is also available without the polished rim, but it doesn't really matter because the OMF ring will cover it.)

Series 185 is like a Mickey Thompson Classic II:

ae_series_185.png

(This one may be problematic because the lip on the outer edge of the rim might interfere with the OMF ring.)

What is everyone's opinion on the best look for an Excursion?

I've seen lots of pics of the MT Classic II style rims on Super Duty trucks, but nothing like the Methods.

My truck currently has the beige cladding, but that's coming off and I'll add white flares. It has an approx 3" lift right now, but I'm planning on the 5" all spring Icon.

Thank you for your opinions in advance,

Chris

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I like the machine lip on a silver or white truck...I run the Methods DS machine lip on mine and like the look with the silver Raptor...

I also run the Nitto Trails 35 x12.50 R 17

The AE looks like nice wheels as well...I think they run a negative offset, but they are testing a +8...

FYI - I had a black Excursion with a 6" lift and ran 37s...I can't remember the wheel but the tries were Mickey Ts...no rub on full lock...

Pics?

OP
OP
C

chrison600

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

I like the machine lip on a silver or white truck...I run the Methods DS machine lip on mine and like the look with the silver Raptor...

I also run the Nitto Trails 35 x12.50 R 17

The AE looks like nice wheels as well...I think they run a negative offset, but they are testing a +8...

FYI - I had a black Excursion with a 6" lift and ran 37s...I can't remember the wheel but the tries were Mickey Ts...no rub on full lock...

Pics?

Thanks for the speedy response. The 012 in 17x9 has a -5mm offset with 4.75" backspace. The 185 in 17x9 has +2mm offset and 5.0" backspace.

If my understanding of offset and backspace is correct, this means they have 1/4" difference in the way they orient the rim width in relation to the hub face. The 012 is 1/4" closer to the truck, the 185 1/4" more out of the fender. Not enough to bicker over I think...??

Nothing really special about the X at the moment. It's just a run of the mill 2001 white with beige, factory 16s with 285s, 4" ProComp Super Duty lift. I've already scrapped the ProComp shocks and installed Bilstein 5100's along with a Hellwig rear sway. I was going to do the lift next, but I picked up a screw in the RF tire.

I'll post back when the new shoes are on.

Chris