37's Pros & Cons?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

37's Pros & Cons?

Always see threads about going to 37" tires. Seriously thought about it but is it really worth 2"?

I am sure I don't have everything but here is a start.

Pros:

Looks really good

More rubber for off-roading, smoother ride

Higher clearance

Cons:

Cost of Tires (a given)

Replace wheels with aftermarket to obtain offset

Replace front fenders and paint

Go without or get fender liners

Bend over pinch weld in rear fender

Loss of power when shifting so we change the gears to 4.56 or 4.88 (or higher)

Strain on driveshaft so might want to upgrade that too (heavier tire and higher gears)

Spare Tire: 37's spare most likely won't fit under truck (depending on tire)

• Put spare in bed tied down or purchase rack
  • Can't haul things unless you want to go without the spare.
  • Replace rear bumper to give more clearance if want to put under
  • Change exhaust or cut after axle for spare clearance if going under

Warranty issues - Owners manual warranty guide clearly shows on Page 13 that oversized tires is an example for non-coverage if caused by

This just doesn't seem worth it, thoughts?

I know you don't have to do all of this above when going to 37's but it seems if you want to get everything covered when doing this then this is what is most likely going to be a start. AND I REPEAT, I know you DO NOT have to do all of this above but these items seem to be on the list when going to 37's.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

pro more sidewall for protection, higher ground clearance, softer ride when off road and aired down.

Thanks, kinda covered that when I stated; "More rubber for off-roading".
Will add clearance, miss that. Thanks!

Ramrodthrusterpuppy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loss of power is minute, if any....same goes with stress on the drivetrain as the weight gain (rotational mass) is negligible. Weight of a 37/12.50/17 BFG AT is less than a 35/12.50/17 Toyo M/T. With mid-perch and no other mods, you can run many 37" tires (not all 37"s are the same diameter) on OEM wheels and most will fit in OEM spare location. Again, the BFG AT is 36.3" diameter, but yes on a more negative offset wheel than stock...further mods are necessary for full articulation.

To sum up....I don't see much of a downside.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rick, this is a very good thread, I myself have debated and toyed with the idea of 37s. But at the end of the day it's a lot of time and money, which I would rather spend on other stuff such as suspension etc. However when the BFG KO 2 came out, I was intrigued. I like the new aggressive side wall and in a 37 they are not much heavier, and should fit just fine with stock fenders, and top perch. In conclusion I decided the 37 BFG KO 2 will be my next tire.

cpetes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect thread, not sure what to go with as far as a build at the moment. I don't know if the "badass" look of 37s is worth the cost... to do it properly that is.

Ready to see some comments!

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
37s over 35s will give you 2" or tire height or 1" of ground clearance.

I think a proper upgrade to 37s must be really expensive. I would end up doing all you mentioned which must be $10K or more. Is 1" of ground clearance and looks worth $10K or more to you, that's the question. For some yes for others no. I'd rather spend the $10K on long travel suspension.

JayLV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
37s over 35s will give you 2" or tire height or 1" of ground clearance.

I think a proper upgrade to 37s must be really expensive. I would end up doing all you mentioned which must be $10K or more. Is 1" of ground clearance and looks worth $10K or more to you, that's the question. For some yes for others no. I'd rather spend the $10K on long travel suspension.

Stupid analogy. Most of us already had aftermarket wheels, I already had a bed rack. 6 tires cost me $2400, fenders + wrap cost me $600, trimming pinch welds cost me $100. Is it worth $3100 to me? Hell yes. It's not just about ground clearance.

cups

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No "mods" needed if using oem wheels. Just bang down the pinch welds and go to at least mid perch. I plan on going this way when my current 35s are done. Hopefully my locals can help me figure out knocking down the pinch welds.

Last edited:

AZEngineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid analogy. Most of us already had aftermarket wheels, I already had a bed rack. 6 tires cost me $2400, fenders + wrap cost me $600, trimming pinch welds cost me $100. Is it worth $3100 to me? Hell yes. It's not just about ground clearance.

The Original Poster listed all the mods he would need for tall tires. If I went to tall tires I would also want new gear ratios, fenders, liners, tires and wheels, paint for the fenders, etc. I personally think tall tires are a waste and I personally would rather spend the dollars on suspension. But I guess I'm stupid.

Last edited: