Why does my engine fan turn on more after a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My engine fan sounds like a jet engine, so it's hard not to notice. Every time I switch tunes, the fan comes on for 2 seconds every minute of two. Then after a while (1 hour maybe?) it seems to calm down.

Why is that?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I suspect your ECU is learning the new tune and making adjustments. After the adjustments are in place (I'm told by one of the AIRAID engineers that these ECUs learn very quickly), then the fan behavior settles down accordingly.

My 2 cents. Other people know more than I do and may have a more informed response.

Doubleeaz

Reaction score
I have the 91 Perf tune on my 2014 from 5 star. I live in AZ and bought the truck in Feb. Fan seemed "normal". But as it turned hotter, the fan now comes on almost immediately and full bore. Contacted 5 star and they say that this is normal behavior for the 91 Perf tune. I took out the tune and fan on full speed happens much, much less.

NJStangersJonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought it was just me. Running a 93 tune and it's the loudest fan I've heard. I bought mine in late October so I haven't really used the A.C in hot weather until 2 weeks ago.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cooler engine produces more power, you might want to change the thermostat to something cooler rather than the stock 195 degree.
Try a 180 for the summer months.