Whipple Surging!!! Any advice appreciated...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD454SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the JDM tune and Ford performance throttle body. I had some surging with original whipple tune and revised long tube whipple tune. Since going to JDM no issues . With Jdm Tune make sure you gap your plugs at 30 thousand and run at least 180 deg or higher thermostat. I run 180 here in AZ . I'm also running the 3.125 pulley peaking 11 psi boost.

Reaction score
Appreciate it. I am poor at this. But had enough of my issues. The shop I deal with had it in and thought they fixed it
But here I am. Stalls and surging .
Its unfortunate but Whipple has not responded .They did once. Got a response email that that person was away.
They did clean the MAF sensor when it was in.
And all other info you asked prior I guess I'm not even sure if im running latest firmware. It is whipple tuned.
When it stalls - sometimes it just says low oil pressure. Turn it off .Turn on. And no codes .
Not towing. And seems to surge going uphill ..or if I'm doing 50 clicks slow rolling and punch it then it surges and then no throttle response for at least 3 seconds. No pedal response. Stays on but no codes show then
That's alright, I'll help ya all I can. You gotta start somewhere.
Plus this is an old thread the issue they had have been solved a year ago.
Don't know if they will come back and chime in again.

If you haven't called Whipple yet, they will ask these and more questions.
I would start an email to send to them with all your info and my questions answered.
At least as best you can.

There have been a handful of surging issues but everyone required a different solution.
It's certainly not typical.

Reaction score
do you have the whipple throttle body?
If so that is your problem right there. i had this issue and whipple made excuse after excuse when in fact the fix was chucking the TB and getting the ford racing one on. while I was at it I went JDM tune also. JDM tune was 100% better choice for me also.

my truck is faster and runs 100 times better with the GT500 throttle body on it right now and JDM tune. compared to whipple throttle body and their tune. the ford racing TB will be here in a day or so and it will be even better I am sure (25HP gain)

this is of coarse if you have the surging and stalling at light issues? you can fix the stalling at lights by drilling holes in the throttle body blades. to me thats rigged and truck still will surge

What you described sounds like my issue. It is whipple throttle body.
And it seems to stall mostly when I'm slowing down for stop lights / signs.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you described sounds like my issue. It is whipple throttle body.
And it seems to stall mostly when I'm slowing down for stop lights / signs.
you can drill little holes in the throttle body blades. that will fix it assuming you had the same problem I was having.
I have the JDM tune and it is night and day better then Whipple "for me" BUT even the JDM has issues. the idle dips as low as 250RPMs at stops and actually died on me this morning. it doesn't die very often(3 times totaL) but if I have the AC seats on it will kill them all the time. It will also turn the AC off every now and then. very strange to me.
im almost positive you have the TB issue I had though. try drilling holes in the blades not sure the size call them and ask. dont bother asking them to tune it out for you they won't. either will JDM the after market support after you buy sucks on old trucks at least I hope thats the excuse and they just dont suck period,lol.

Reaction score
you can drill little holes in the throttle body blades. that will fix it assuming you had the same problem I was having.
I have the JDM tune and it is night and day better then Whipple "for me" BUT even the JDM has issues. the idle dips as low as 250RPMs at stops and actually died on me this morning. it doesn't die very often(3 times totaL) but if I have the AC seats on it will kill them all the time. It will also turn the AC off every now and then. very strange to me.
im almost positive you have the TB issue I had though. try drilling holes in the blades not sure the size call them and ask. dont bother asking them to tune it out for you they won't. either will JDM the after market support after you buy sucks on old trucks at least I hope thats the excuse and they just dont suck period,lol.

This definitely sounds exactly like my issue ..the a/c seats / heat will click off as well .But thanks for this info. I'm willing to try anything these days. !!!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to PM me, I'll try to help you.
It's a little hard to start with you because I have no idea what the exact mods your truck has.

As the seats turning off, I pretty sure that's because your battery is weak.
Your battery should be reading 13.7 volts at minimum, when the truck is off.
A whole host of small issue come from a weak battery, loose or corroded connections at the starter or battery terminals.
Improper spark plug gap is a big one too.

Connections to the TB have been an issue as well, from the wire that gets spliced in the PCM plug to the extended TB harness plug.
There are a whole lot of things that need to be check off first, before just making an assumption that Whipple's TB is to blame.
Editing the calibration table for the TB and torque control is not a simple process by any means, not every Tuner even has the files to edit them.
That's why some Tuners say to go to the smaller 65mm TB. There's a lot less flow rate.
No need to edit those files, cheaper for them.

Also Whipple's Tuner travels with a Ford NHRA team along with doing his own onsite Tuning, which is something we could never afford.
Unless your Ken Block backed by Ford, which by the way is who Tunes his Raptors.

I'm waiting for my time to get the new Gen 3 compressor done by him, he's not easily accessible.
And no one else has a Tune for the 2010 1/2 Whippled Raptor besides Whipple and SVC.
HINT, there's a reason for that!!!

Can you spot your Vin# or order, he's got thousands of them on his Laptop and that's just one folder.

IMG_20150618_153857_397.jpg

Last edited:

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to PM me, I'll try to help you.
It's a little hard to start with you because I have no idea what the exact mods your truck has.

As the seats turning off, I pretty sure that's because your battery is weak.
Your battery should be reading 13.7 volts at minimum, when the truck is off.
A whole host of small issue come from a weak battery, loose or corroded connections at the starter or battery terminals.
Improper spark plug gap is a big one too.

Connections to the TB have been an issue as well, from the wire that gets spliced in the PCM plug to the extended TB harness plug.
There are a whole lot of things that need to be check off first, before just making an assumption that Whipple's TB is to blame.
Editing the calibration table for the TB and torque control is not a simple process by any means, not every Tuner even has the files to edit them.
That's why some Tuners say to go to the smaller 65mm TB. There's a lot less flow rate.
No need to edit those files, cheaper for them.

Also Whipple's Tuner travels with a Ford NHRA team along with doing his own onsite Tuning, which is something we could never afford.
Unless your Ken Block backed by Ford, which by the way is who Tunes his Raptors.

I'm waiting for my time to get the new Gen 3 compressor done by him, he's not easily accessible.
And no one else has a Tune for the 2010 1/2 Whippled Raptor besides Whipple and SVC.
HINT, there's a reason for that!!!

Can you spot your Vin# or order, he's got thousands of them on his Laptop and that's just one folder.

View attachment 114076
with 100% respect Im gonna disagree with a few things.
although the battery may be a cause for the Ac seats to shut off I knew exactly what TB he had he didnt even need to tell me and I watched my RPMs drop and click AC seats off I have a brand new battery also. id bet anything thats his issue Whipple will tell you drill the holes in the blades shit they did it to mine in there shop.
MY RPMs have dropped so low the AC it self has shut off and even the truck has shut off scared the hell out of me the first time.

WE will always disagree on Whipples tuner. Id say they are the worst tune I ever had in my life. I have no doubt if I kept the whipple tune they installed at their shop would of blew my motor up.
JDM tune is 100% better in my case of coarse. saying that their support is just as bad as whipples they both suck. I am gonna keep this truck forever or a long time at least and I will be looking to find another tuner if anyone knows of one. Whipple was supposed to come out with a perfect tune what happened there?

complete side note the head GM tuner lives right here in Nor cal and he tuned one of my LS impalas it was a very bad. I went to my regular tuner (150 miles away) and gained 100 hp just re-tuning it nothing else at all. something about factory tuners Ill take a after market tuner for aftermarket parts anyday.

as far as the OP goes just drill the holes and see if that fixes it. it did for me and the whipple TB makes so much more power then the ford racing you wont like swapping I know I hate it but its better then my truck blowing up. your tune is fine other then the shut off correct? if so drill the holes and I bet your fixed

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but like I and Truckzor advised, you needed to wait till Truckzor's Truck was finished.
Whipple's Ford Calibrator Tuner does not live on the west coast. Whipple has more than one Tuner.

Last time I spoke with Whipple, I was told there is no longer any need to drill holes.
Unless your mods exceed Whipple's recommendations.
And even then, Truckzor is running a bigger mono blade TB now. With no issues.

Last edited:

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but like I and Truckzor advised, you needed to wait till Truckzor's Truck was finished.
Whipple's Ford Calibrator Tuner does not live on the west coast. Whipple has more than one Tuner.

Last time I spoke with Whipple, I was told there is no longer any need to drill holes.
Glad they fixed it for the next guy then. It was such poor service it would be hard for me to go back and use them. No exaggeration my truck would sit on the limiter for 3 maybe longer seconds before it would shift. No I see why people need oil gear upgrades my teeth almost rattled out of my head. This was after letting them have my truck to do what ever they wanted. I called them on it and he said that’s all we can do nothing more. That told me enough. I could of called my buddy to bitch and I’m sure they would of found a way to fix it but that just seemed stupid.
I’m glad everyone else was happy I just won’t deal with people like that. They act to good or too busy for you. Maybe I should of asked for the other tuner? Ben or something like that? Shit when my SC was in there for warranty work no one told me a thing it sat for 2 weeks doing nothing lol I wouldn’t of sent it if that was the case. my buddy’s shop was slammed and we could of took apart at my house instead of take a spot. Just bad shit all the way around. If they are that busy build a better product or hire another guy.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Shit thinking about this makes me even more mad. They straight up lied and said the only way to fix was drilling the holes. I’m stupid and even knew you can tune that shit but they told me a hundred times only option.
I’d have to drive dudes truck before I’d say no issues. Very curious his rpm ranges. Bigger then whipple TB maybe it’s just the whipple TB then!
I will give you that the TB made a lot more power then the ford racing one. A lot more. But my truck would of blew up.

You couldn’t tell me wait for dude truck to get done I had mine before him and was already done. But good for people now