Whipple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wastedrubber

Reaction score
Not a Raptor owner but i have a 2011 F150 Harley edition with the 6.2 and there's not a lot of resources out there for me...

I recently bought the truck used from a dealer, the previous owner had a 2.9 Whipple and a CNG standalone fuel system installed. The dealer was supposed to remove the CNG system but i discovered they'd only removed the tanks from the bed of the truck...

Anyway, the driveability sucks on the tune, the throttle tip in is way too aggressive but there's an extra computer and shit to deal with. I need to strip the CNG system out the rest of the way still.

2.9 Whipple guys, what throttle body are you guys using? I've gotten the wrench and limp mode a few times, no similar acceleration or anything i can pinpoint to say its the cause since i don't have a scanner yet, but i've heard dirty throttle bodies can be problematic.

Just trying to get this thing squared away

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@MTF might have some insight to offer. Also, any local auto parts store should be able to scan your vehicle or let you borrow a scanner.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You best bet is to contact Whipple, as far I know Whipple did not make a 2.3L for 6.2L.
They only made one manifold for the 6.2L, but who knows. I've been wrong before.

Tune!!! Spark Plugs, injectors all need to be identified.

Whipple will have a invoice for the kit that was put on your truck.
You have to find out what Tune you have, Whipple did not have a Tune for CNG so it would be a custom Tune from somebody.
Back in 2011 only the Whipple encrypted Tune was available.
If your truck was never updated you would need a SCT X4 programmer/scanner and a new Tune from Whipple or another vender on this forum.

Also, get the installation manual for the CNG system so you know what needs to be removed.

I also would try to find out who owned the truck that did the mods, dealer should be able to help.
Maybe Whipple could tell you what shop bought the kit.

You will have to work hard to correctly get your truck in order but it will be worth it in the end.
Good Luck, keep us updated.

P.S. do you know if that truck has remained local, because my best guess is Livernois did the install and Tune. Again just guessing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wastedrubber

Reaction score
You best bet is to contact Whipple, as far I know Whipple did not make a 2.3L for 6.2L.
They only made one manifold for the 6.2L, but who knows. I've been wrong before.

Tune!!! Spark Plugs, injectors all need to be identified.

Whipple will have a invoice for the kit that was put on your truck.
You have to find out what Tune you have, Whipple did not have a Tune for CNG so it would be a custom Tune from somebody.
Back in 2011 only the Whipple encrypted Tune was available.
If your truck was never updated you would need a SCT X4 programmer/scanner and a new Tune from Whipple or another vender on this forum.

Also, get the installation manual for the CNG system so you know what needs to be removed.

I also would try to find out who owned the truck that did the mods, dealer should be able to help.
Maybe Whipple could tell you what shop bought the kit.

You will have to work hard to correctly get your truck in order but it will be worth it in the end.
Good Luck, keep us updated.

I'm not sure where you got the 2.3 from but I definitely have a 2.9.

I took it to my local Ford tuner here who tried to read the tune on the current computer via HP Tuners and SCT and he wasn't able to. As you said and i believe, it's an encrypted tune. Probably need a Ford tech to flash to stock and start from scratch.

I called whipple when i first got it, they were less than helpful. I've been trying to get more information on my stuff to speak with I think it was Mike there.

Definitely not as simple and straightforward as i was hoping it would be...

I'll update this thread as i progress.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL, yeah, I don't what happened there I could have sworn I saw 6.2L with a 2.3L Whipple. Doing this from my phone without my cheaters, My Bad!!!

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

You need to contact Whipple for sure then, to help you or your Ford Tuner to remove the encrypted Tune.

I am surprised to hear they were less then helpful, I would try again Mike is easy to talk to, could have had a bad day, maybe.

Dealer will not be able to help you, they would charge you an arm and a leg to call Whipple just to be able to read the Tune for diagnostics, but they would not be able to do anything anyway.

Plus you should not run a stock Tune on a Supercharged vehicle.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Honestly, if it where me I'd get the SCT X4 with the Whipple Tune.
The Whipple Tune has gone through a lot of updates/revisions in the past 6 years, same can be said for the other Tuners, like SVC, Livernois, JDM, 5 Star

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wastedrubber

Reaction score
LOL, yeah, I don't what happened there I could have sworn I saw 6.2L with a 2.3L Whipple. Doing this from my phone without my cheaters, My Bad!!!

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

You need to contact Whipple for sure then, to help you or your Ford Tuner to remove the encrypted Tune.

I am surprised to hear they less then helpful, I would try again Mike is easy to talk to, could have had a bad day, maybe.

Dealer will not be able to help you, they would charge you an arm and a leg to call Whipple just to be able to read the Tune for diagnostics, but they would not be able to do anything anyway.

Plus you should not run a stock Tune on a Supercharged vehicle.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Honestly, if it where me I'd get the SCT X4 with the Whipple Tune.
The Whipple Tune has gone through a lot of updates/revisions in the past 6 years, same can be said for the other Tuners, like SVC, Livernois, JDM, 5 Star

Yeah I've been busy with work and things getting in the way of getting familiar with this thing. When i can get some time I will get ahold of Mike again and see if he can get me any info. The company that put the CNG system in believes that Whipple themselves installed the blower, which may be the case as it seems to have a special fuel rail for the CNG. But Whipple had no recollection of that when i called.

As for the dealer, they were supposed to have removed the CNG system completely, i have a hard time trusting them to do anything now, not sure if pressuring them to do what they said they would is in my best interest or not to be honest, seems like an opportunity to get familiar with the truck.

I'd never drive on a stock tune, i've had a Lightning I've been ******** with for some time now so i'm on board with the importance of a safe tune. Which is what kills me about this thing lol i can tell there's a lot of power but the tune makes it less than fun.

Received your PM, thanks.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One last suggestion, when you call Whipple again ask for Jeff he is the Tune guy there at Whipple, Mike is in charge of sales among other things.

Last edited: