Go Back   FORD RAPTOR FORUM - Ford SVT Raptor Forums - Ford Raptor > GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums > Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-6.2 Liter V8 [GEN 1]
Become a Supporting Member         Become a Supporting Vendor

Register to remove these ads.

Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-6.2 Liter V8 [GEN 1]

Whipple Questions

This is a discussion on Whipple Questions within the Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods-6.2 Liter V8 [GEN 1] forums, part of the GEN 1 (2010-2014) Ford SVT Raptor Forums category!
I think I am on the cusp of getting wifely permission to Whipple my Raptor! Here is what I plan ...

User Tag List

Sponsored By: GotExhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Whipple Questions
I think I am on the cusp of getting wifely permission to Whipple my Raptor! Here is what I plan on using it for and thoughts. I am looking for input on the best approach.

Why SC my Raptor? Well, for a couple of reasons:

1) My wife's Maxima is faster than my Raptor ATM.
2) A SC is bad ass
3) I am nuts, but this is my mid-life crisis vehicle. :)

Driving:

I might take some dirt roads fast, but I really plan on keeping this on the road 99% of the time. I plan on hauling medium to large trailers (21' Fiberglass Boat, Travel Trailer, Jeep Wrangler on a trailer)

I enjoy the ride I currently have (have not gone mid-perch yet). I like the fact that it rides soft on the highway.

What I am thinking:

Whipple SC (If I can find a local shop to install it, I would hate to go Roush, but there is a dealer the installs them).

RPG Stage 3 Kit with the HD Springs (Hopefully, this will not negatively impact my ride when not towing). Alternatively, just HD leaf springs and the frame protection.

What am I missing here, does this sound like a reasonable plan (please, I already understand that I do not NEED a super charger, this is clearly a WANT thing).

Thanks!

2012 White Supercrew
torrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

aka nosbusa

Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)

want and need blur together when getting stuff for the truck. as long as you got the ball an chains permission, i say go for it. i have to take little amounts of money out of the bank for long periods of time so i can buy stuff. my ball an chain gets pissed if i do anything, so little by little i have to save......

if its allowed, do it. you can never have too much power.......as long as the rest of the truck is built to accomodate the hp increase

Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

sounds like a sound plan to me, as badass as a SC would be to have Id totally get the Livernois beef up over a SC, new cams and headers and exhaust will give you some more power and make it sound badass while still being naturally aspirated

Also if you get leafs and protection might as well get the full stage 3 while your at it, someone made a thead about having the bumpstops and tow'ing a while abck

2012 Blue Flame Scab - 2012 Focus Titanium
Wheela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Originally Posted by Wheela View Post
sounds like a sound plan to me, as badass as a SC would be to have Id totally get the Livernois beef up over a SC, new cams and headers and exhaust will give you some more power and make it sound badass while still being naturally aspirated

Also if you get leafs and protection might as well get the full stage 3 while your at it, someone made a thead about having the bumpstops and tow'ing a while abck
The thing I like about the SC is the warranty and local install. I am in Nashville, so Livernois is a ways up north for me. :)

2012 White Supercrew
torrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'd call it a plan, is not far from where I am. I'd qualify the SC as a "need" in terms of the pleasure added to the driving experience. Had mine for over a month and I'm still amazed and learning about how it drives.
My time on is 99% on the road (went to the Texas Raptor Run this year, no SC) - so the SC makes it an every day pleasure. One caveat - the Whipple kit exposes the filter to the underside much more than the stock box - so watch out for big puddles hit fast.
I reinforced the frame minimally w/ the SDHQ bolt-on, but have friends w/ the Stage 3 and just viewed a video (RPG I think) comparing stock to Stage 4 over bumps - really impressive. So... I'll dream about spending more on that when and if.
I think the four best things that've worked for me are: 1) SC, 2) Stereo, 3) Mid-Perch and 4) LEDs. Concurs w/ your plans I believe.

Mid Perch, Phillips Pro Extreme Headlights
Bak-Flip Cover, Rigid D2 Fog Lights
chinook2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Full Access Member

My Whipple is on order. Plan on doing install myself. Unless you are a complete retard you can do it with a decent set of tools. Computer gets FedEx'd to Whipple and they FedEx it right back. Later I will improve the throttle body and add water injection to help with heat soak (Whipples love to get heat soaked and zap power big time).

Part of my Whipple install will include a better heat exchanger and s/c water pump with a Miezer 35gpm remote electric water pump.

My plan consist of Deaver +2 springs, mid perch, SDHQ Trophey bumper with lights, frame gusset, stock exhaust with either Roush or Magnaflow cat-back for a little rumble.

when my stock Fox shock kiss the goat I will replace them with Fox or King 3.0 upgrades.

Beyond that I am trying to figure out how to improve transmission cooling without buying a $1,500 remote mount race cooler and starting some research on doing an 8 rib belt modification. Super chargers love to throw 6 rib belts, make sure you keep an extra in the truck.

The low end torque is going to be a blast. People always say "non-SC Raptor will do 130mph", but the real gain is in the 20-60mph blast of torque as you come out of turns and off the light.

Forget "warranties" on s/c add on's. They arent worth the paper they are written on.

Last edited by rbarn; 08-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

FRF Addict

Hopefully Whipple has a step by step instruction booklet like Magnason does, that makes it real easy.
justvettn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

FRF Supporting Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)

Originally Posted by torrin View Post
I think I am on the cusp of getting wifely permission to Whipple my Raptor! Here is what I plan on using it for and thoughts. I am looking for input on the best approach.

Why SC my Raptor? Well, for a couple of reasons:

1) My wife's Maxima is faster than my Raptor ATM.
2) A SC is bad ass
3) I am nuts, but this is my mid-life crisis vehicle. :)

Driving:

I might take some dirt roads fast, but I really plan on keeping this on the road 99% of the time. I plan on hauling medium to large trailers (21' Fiberglass Boat, Travel Trailer, Jeep Wrangler on a trailer)

I enjoy the ride I currently have (have not gone mid-perch yet). I like the fact that it rides soft on the highway.

What I am thinking:

Whipple SC (If I can find a local shop to install it, I would hate to go Roush, but there is a dealer the installs them).

RPG Stage 3 Kit with the HD Springs (Hopefully, this will not negatively impact my ride when not towing). Alternatively, just HD leaf springs and the frame protection.

What am I missing here, does this sound like a reasonable plan (please, I already understand that I do not NEED a super charger, this is clearly a WANT thing).

Thanks!
I've got the RPG Stage 3 with HD springs, front, raised to mid perch. If you have no load in the bed, a good bump at speed will launch the rear end. But when I had loaded with 3 adults and a mess o luggage in the bed, it rode like stock. So if your not loading it, either scrape the HD's or commit to the 3' shocks.

I had a couple close calls up in Reno earlier this month. I fear what could have happened if I had another 150 horsies.

BTW, I highly recommend the RPG Stage 3. Peace of mind and great ride with warning above.
cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Full Access Member

Originally Posted by justvettn View Post
Hopefully Whipple has a step by step instruction booklet like Magnason does, that makes it real easy.
They do. It is.
rbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Full Access Member

Rbarn. Where did u order ur Whipple. I want to order one for my 13 that is ordered but looking for best price. Im prob goin to go with a tunner kit and get my own injectors and tbody upgrade. I plan on doing upgraded cooler and custom dyno tune when complete do to long tube headers that will also be installed.