Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Out of box tune (SCT, whoever)

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Factory

Votes: 69 26.8%
  • Other (name what you have)

Votes: 44 17.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gilligan

Reaction score
SVC price of $550 for SCT X4 with tune WAY TOO HIGH! Find good dyno shop!

$150 for a high quality tune is WAY TOO HIGH?? uhhhhhhhh.. :crazy:

That's what, $50 more than one 5star tune? But you can actually drive the damn truck, and be happy while you do it.

zsommer79

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's what, $50 more than one 5star tune? But you can actually drive the damn truck, and be happy while you do it.

X4 with 5 tunes from 5 Star is $400. Does the SVC tune work with an X3 or do you have to have an X4? I want to try the SVC tune but if I have to buy another programmer that would be a deal breaker for sure.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn I wanna live somewhere where you can get a custom dyno tune for $150 holy balls. Any shops near me with a dyno are not touching shit unless you plan on dropping $600-1000 with them and really IMO you need to tune while driving and on the dyno for that kinda $. I think the SVC is by far your best bet for the money.

spirit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What am I missing here? Last I heard, Mike and his 5-Star tuner was the gold standard around here. Now, it sounds like anything is better than that tuner.

I've been happily driving-away the past 80,000 miles on the 5-Star, thinking life was great. Did a truck blow-up of something similar that I'm not aware of?

I have seen information on the SVC tuner that is interesting, is that is THE tuner to install these days?

What happened to 5-Star?

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nothing. The topic has been extensively covered in a couple of SVC vs 5* threads. What I've read and experienced is that they're different. Pick your poison.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
X4 with 5 tunes from 5 Star is $400. Does the SVC tune work with an X3 or do you have to have an X4? I want to try the SVC tune but if I have to buy another programmer that would be a deal breaker for sure.

Our tune is compatible with any sct device.

-Jeff

zsommer79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our tune is compatible with any sct device.

-Jeff

Good to know. So how does your tune work when going from say 87 to 93 octane. Do you just leave timing open for the customer to adjust and how would I know what's safe?

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good to know. So how does your tune work when going from say 87 to 93 octane. Do you just leave timing open for the customer to adjust and how would I know what's safe?

The global spark is left unlocked, we presend it set for 91+ octane at 0. For 87 you'd set it to -4 and for 89 -2.

-Jeff

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's what, $50 more than one 5star tune? But you can actually drive the damn truck, and be happy while you do it.[/

$150 for 1 fit all canned tune? Too much!

How do you know it's a high quality tune? You put it on dyno and had it analyzed yet? A tune can feel good but dyno will tell truth.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 12951

I personally think it might to soon for me. I just purchased a tuner with five 5 star tunes that I choose. Have only tried 3 of them so far as I have only had 2 fill-ups since I purchased. I have nothing to compare it with. The only real thing that I have noticed so far is how the transmission acts. Seems it still doesn't have that immediate response when I press the pedal to the floor.

I figure I would use the 5 star for at least 6 months before seriously looking at another vendor tune. Or do others get multiple vendor tunes right off the get go?