Water temp send in unit placement ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tall Mike

Reaction score
Have a 3 gauge pod for my SD and are looking for a place to mount the send in unit on a 6.2L for the Autometer water temp gauge..

Any help would be much appreciated, the SD forums weren't any help.

Mike

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Tall Mike

Tall Mike

Reaction score
OP
OP
Tall Mike

Tall Mike

Reaction score
The 6.2L's PCM uses Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) Sensor instead of an Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor to calculate the coolant temperature.

So you may have to give Autometer a call and see if you can even use your gauge.

Or you can get something like this but with a higher temp sensor:

Inline Radiator Hose Temperature Switch Adapter 1 1 2" Dia 200F Temp Switch | eBay

This looks to be the best option on a Super Duty....I didn't find any ports around the thermostat housing and nothing on the radiator itself...I don't know about Raptors but the sides of the SD radiator are all plastic, I'm not exactly comfy with that....I know the 6.7L guys are having problems with radiators..

Thanks again for the info.

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Water temp sensors should be installed in the engines water jacked, not in the radiator or hoses.
I'm not close to my truck to check, but any plug in the block that leaks water will do; if there is none you can get a new frieze plug and have a fitting for the sensor installed in it.
An alternative would be the heater hose connection; replace it with a 'T' fitting.

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This looks to be the best option on a Super Duty....I didn't find any ports around the thermostat housing and nothing on the radiator itself...I don't know about Raptors but the sides of the SD radiator are all plastic, I'm not exactly comfy with that....I know the 6.7L guys are having problems with radiators..

Thanks again for the info.

For the most part don't worry about the plastic radiator tanks. They have been using them now for 30 years. There are actually less issues with the new aluminum radiators with plastic tanks then the old thinner copper / brass units.

OP
OP
Tall Mike

Tall Mike

Reaction score
Water temp sensors should be installed in the engines water jacked, not in the radiator or hoses.
I'm not close to my truck to check, but any plug in the block that leaks water will do; if there is none you can get a new frieze plug and have a fitting for the sensor installed in it.
An alternative would be the heater hose connection; replace it with a 'T' fitting.

Based on a lot of reading on this site and a Super Duty site my truck *should* have come with a block heater but didn't..

I looked in the spot where I think the block heater was suppose to have been installed (I may be wrong on location) and found this plug.......Does this look like a good spot for the send in unit where I am pointing ??

Soft%20Plug_zpsp0ncaq69.jpg

Drivers side rear of the motor, above the oil pan...Just to the right for reference is the oil filter you can start to see..

Last edited:

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, not knowing the configuration of the block it could be oil or water.
If no one else knows, there is only one way to find out: loosen it.
Also, if you know the stroke length, the water jacked has to be within that range.