GEN 1 Want more power/torque from my Roush phase 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already have installed:
- twin 65mm throttle body
- 1 7/8 AR catted headers
- Roush exhaust
- colder NGK spark plugs
- TSS oil pump gear

Any suggestion?
69mm VMP pulley, AFCO heat exhanger with efans ...... which tune?

DrewFish11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already have installed:

- twin 65mm throttle body

- 1 7/8 AR catted headers

- Roush exhaust

- colder NGK spark plugs

- TSS oil pump gear

Any suggestion?

69mm VMP pulley, AFCO heat exhanger with efans ...... which tune?

I have a very similar set up to yours minus the headers and oil pump gear. If you don't have a tune (Roush tune doesn't count lol) then I would suggest taking a look at jdm. Their tune has been very solid for me.

The afco heat exchanger with the electronic fans helps keep the intake temps down... basically what I've noticed is that it keeps a little more throttle response and doesn't feel as sluggish as the heat soak tends to set in. The stock heat exchanger the Roush package comes with is a child's toy compared to the afco dual fan unit. After wiring up the fan like the instructions say (fans on all the time), I ended up wiring the switch to aux 4 so I could flip it on and off as I please. The fans are quite audible and unnecessary the majority of the time.

How does your exhaust sound with the headers? That has been an idea I've been throwing around for a while now? Also, how's the power with them?

OP
OP
tahitiansoul

tahitiansoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the 650HP tune from JDM, it feels great but want to get more of this engine. The sound is great with the headers but I kept the resonator fitted, was too loud without. The torque is a bit less in low rpm but there is more at high compared to stock manifolds.

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have the 650HP tune from JDM, it feels great but want to get more of this engine. The sound is great with the headers but I kept the resonator fitted, was too loud without. The torque is a bit less in low rpm but there is more at high compared to stock manifolds.

If we can get enough people who want one I can get you a 10% IW lower damper. Added 20 plus whp and 30 plus wtq on 91 pump gas and didn't even tune for it yet. At elevation was worth a solid 2# gain in boost.

PM me if interested.

Last edited:

biturbomg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapping to a smaller blower pulley and tune for the set up makes a night and day difference. And as said AFCO heat exchanger is a must then

Agree max out the top pulley and once you have done that if you want more have to go to bigger lower.

Last edited:

donk_316

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have:
Roush SC with a 72mm VMP pulley and it's VMP tuned.
65mm Twin TB
Kooks LT 1 3/4" headers
Kooks off-road Y pipe
"Roush" cat back (basically a 28" resonator and a flomaster muffler with Roush tips
NGK 6510
Stock Roush heat exchanger (yeah it is thin and small)

The only real thing left to do for me is MAYBE a 69mm pulley and upgrade the heat exchanger. With the 72mm pulley I'm seeing about 8 psi.
Seeing the price of the lower pulley, I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited: