Twin Turboed 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum and just recently bought a 2012 raptor that was twin turboed from UPP in Colorado. <30k miles on it, and love the truck other than one issue that I've been having with hesitation/misfire that I need some advice on.

At around 2k RPMs going up hill or slight throttle the engine feels like it misfires and bucks slightly. Under higher throttle it goes away, it just seems to be when the turbos are trying to build boost that it happens.

First thing that came to mind was maybe spark, but I'm not sure so this is the first place I'm going to get some advice. I'm going to contact upp, but haven't done that yet. Thanks in advance for any advice!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anyone has been able to get a Twin Turbo 6.2L Raptor running right.

Although, Livernois did a twin turbo never heard any problems, maybe give them a call after you talk to UUP

Last edited:

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you search the threads here, UPP was a vendor here and its possible the owner of that truck also was a member as I know we had threads on it.

Livernois did build TT Raptors for a few people, I think most went overseas and have not heard issues with those just lots of $$$$ to do it. UPP did partner with another vendor during the initial R&D and Testing but they split ways when issues arose from the UPP setup. Later when they said they completed the kit they were asking for a Donor vehicle for testing on and tuning work. I think the Tuning work is the biggest issue they had and not sure if it was ever fully fixed as they went thru a few different tuners

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Colorado is probably where a lot of the TT trucks were built. At elevation, nothing beats a turbo. Down closer to sea level, very few guys thought it was worth trying to sort the tuning issues, myself included. Just too easy to make big power reliably with a whipple.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the normal stuff with checking plug wires, plugs and vacuum lines, but since it pulls cleanly with more throttle I don't think that's the issue.

Is the boost gauge bouncing when this happens? I am leaning towards it being a surge or balance issue.

If you are running a boost controller, turn it off. If you aren't maybe try some different wastegate springs.

Try stiffening the BOV a little.

CarmanKyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before any mechanical work is done I'd have a tuner datalog the issue. Replicate the problem to build data.

I cant tell you how many issues I've corrected that were in the tune in the past.

Agent 00 L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He needs to check the basics before going after the tune. (Plugs, wires, vacuum lines) Yes, some issues can be easily corrected with tuning, but it doesn't make sense to tune around mechanical issues.

I have done this in the past and it makes tuning really tough and then the worst part is you have to retune after you fix the issue.

(Did a reread of you the last post and yes datalogging could help, but don't start tuning until you are certain mechanics are good)

Last edited: