TVS intercooler cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinb491

Reaction score
Any you guys that are running a whipple or Roush ever clean you intercooler? How often should they be cleaned out? I'm sure they start to get nasty pretty quick and how much performance is hurt by a glogged up nasty cooler. I did the JLT oil separator at 13k miles so hoping mines pretty clean, but I'm gonna tackle the job next week anyways.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish there was someway to see inside there without removing the compressor.
I too waited about 3000 miles before adding my Moroso catch can.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish there was someway to see inside there without removing the compressor.
I too waited about 3000 miles before adding my Moroso catch can.

Does yours catch a lot?

My JLT catch can used to catch a lot of oil, almost every 4000 miles it would be 2/3 full. But after installed whipple, it barely catch any... last time I checked, only about 1/5 can after 6500 miles.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Top mounts use air to water intercoolers. The FMIC cools water which is pumped under the supercharger to cool the intake charge. The intercooler system is isolated from the intake air & PCV / EGR garbage that is responsible for what you find in your catch can.

edit: I misunderstood what you guys were talking about - I thought you were worried about the inside of the intercooler. IMO, I think the flow rate is too fast for any worrisome accumulation during a maintenance cycle. Clean it when you have to pull the supercharger to have it rebuilt (or if you pull it for some other maintenance).

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does yours catch a lot?

My JLT catch can used to catch a lot of oil, almost every 4000 miles it would be 2/3 full. But after installed whipple, it barely catch any... last time I checked, only about 1/5 can after 6500 miles.

Since I switched to Mobil 1 Extended two years back I barely get any in the catch can, about the couple of table spoons of crap every three to four months.
And mostly in the winter months.
I have collected all that comes out in four years still haven't fill a 16 oz. Snapple bottle. Only about three table spoons is oil the rest is chocolate crap and water on the bottom.

IMG_20170509_210216105.jpg

Last edited:

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I switched to Mobil 1 Extended two years back I barely get any in the catch can, about the couple of table spoons of crap every three to four months.
And mostly in the winter months.
I have collected all that comes out in four years still haven't fill a 16 oz. Snapple bottle. Only about three table spoons is oil the rest is chocolate crap and water on the bottom.

View attachment 88150

Good to know. I thought it always supposes to have that much oil collected. Kinda worried seeing much less collected after supercharged, LOL... doubt the catch can didn't do its job.

Actually 1/5 can is overstated, barely covered the bottom of the can after 6500 miles.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any you guys that are running a whipple or Roush ever clean you intercooler? How often should they be cleaned out? I'm sure they start to get nasty pretty quick and how much performance is hurt by a glogged up nasty cooler. I did the JLT oil separator at 13k miles so hoping mines pretty clean, but I'm gonna tackle the job next week anyways.

Justin, can you post pic's of what you find when you tackle that job?

Thanks,
HAP

OP
OP
J

justinb491

Reaction score
I sure can. I'm thinking next weekend. Take it apart and see how it is. From what I'm hearing from the mustang guys some are spotless some are a total mess

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if taking the compressor off is the best route to go, your taking a chance that O-rings will get damaged and who knows what else could happen.
Call Roush and see if they have a good suggestion.