Turbo?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
greenie1434

greenie1434

Reaction score
Here is one setup that seems nice
Wish I could find the guy here that has his turbo setup in the bed of the truck. I think hes in Jamaica...
Fastlane's Turbo SVT Raptor - 420 RWHP & 430 RWTQ - YouTube

yeah i saw that. thats sorta what gave me the idea but i wanna keep it under the hood. I still gotta figure out what sized turbo to use.... any suggestions??

I wanted to keep the stock internals for now and not boost too high.

The guy with the turbo in his bed only has a 5.4 i think and he was pushing over 500 on stock pistons untill one broke. Im hoping since i have a 6.2 that I can get at least 550 or more before having to rebuild. Ive heard people saying that they get over 600 to the wheels with stock pistons but im not gonna push it that much..

sniperm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont think u will save money doing it on ur own.. just buy a bolt on kit..

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to learn how to build a custom turbo kit yourself then you need to start by getting a copy of Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost".

Anything over 500rwhp is running on borrowed time with these stock 6.2L's. They were not made for boost. Cast pistons, cast rods and cast crank.

I can help with turbo selection. And they are correct at the end of the day you will not save any money building it yourself. You need to budget $10-12,000 regardless and 6-8 weeks of down time for fabrication. There are no bolt on kits available. Everyone will want you to send them your truck for 2-3 months while they fab one up and install it.

I know the guys well at Fastlane and talked with Nick (owner and guy talking in the video) about doing up a one off kit for my truck and at the end of the day he just recommended going with a Whipple.

I would use the stock cast manifolds and just route exhaust pipes back forward to the turbo(s).

Making all this fit is not going to be easy. There seems to be plenty of room to mount the turbo(s) in front of the engine but routing the downpipe post turbo is going to be tricky.

A single Borg Warner S476 would be a good choice. Or twin Turbonetics 62-1's

Twin 44mm wastegates or a single 60mm.
A good boost controller will be a must too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greenie1434

greenie1434

Reaction score
I found a company that would make the manifold for 2,000$ and he said if anyone else was interested that the price would drop depending on the number of people that wanted to buy a manifold.... so if anyone else wants to get one let me know and we can get a better deal.

rbarn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What company ?
What material ? Stainless ? what kind of stainless ?
Flange thickness ?
Just the header or the whole hot side ?
Where would it place the turbo ?
Where would the down pipe go ?
T4 turbo mounting flange ? twins ?
Provisions for a wastegate already on the header ?

OP
OP
greenie1434

greenie1434

Reaction score
he said whatever design I come up with, they can build it, but its just gonna be the header not the whole hot side.

"If you want a log style manifold or a tube style with a collector design. A typical 4 into 1 turbo header custommade, comes in at around the $2000.00 mark. If you have more owners
interested and we were to build them in quantities, they would cost quite a bit less."

and its stainless steel 304 and 321 you have a choice and the flange is 3/8 of an inch thick

Custom Headers Built To Your Specifications