tuner required with a cat back?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the truck and not looking to void the warranty just yet, so I'm not too inclined to do a tuner, but I really want to change the sound of the truck with a Borla stinger set up. Will I do more harm than good by doing a cat back w/o a tuner?

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I wouldn't say more harm than good but you'll definitely see better results overall with a tuner and not just because you installed the new exhaust.

MKSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got the truck and not looking to void the warranty just yet, so I'm not too inclined to do a tuner, but I really want to change the sound of the truck with a Borla stinger set up. Will I do more harm than good by doing a cat back w/o a tuner?

no, you are not touching the catalytic converters or headers ect. A cat back is after all the sensors that would effect the A/F ratio in the ecu. Any HP gains would be minimal and not noticeable however you will get increased sound and better looking tips. I say go for it, was the first thing i did to my truck.

Last edited:

GotExhaust.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You do not need the tuner for just a cat back. If you add an aggressive intake, such as the aFe Stage II, then I would recommend a tuner to maximize power potential and eliminate any chance of gremlins the intakes can cause.

Feel free to send us a PM for forum pricing and we also offer power package deals with 5 Star Tuners if you decide to take the plunge :smile:

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No way. A cat back is fun for the sound. Performance is negligible and many dealers will so the install.