Tuner- Negative experience of using one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched this over and over. So i have to ask.....
Has anyone had a bad experience of using a tuner?

D

Deleted member 12951

Depends on what you want to know.
1. Problems using it?
2. Problems after the tune?
3. Tech support?
4. Denied warranty work?
5. Etc..

I have a tuner with 5 star and SVC but only used it for about 5k and currently have no tune loaded for nearly 6 months. I am debating on selling it as I don't think it's worth risking warranty for a change to me that is negligible.

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What performace mods you have on there?
Was the Tuner a night/day difference vs. stock (no tuner)?

My question for everyone is problems AFTER the tune

Depends on what you want to know.
1. Problems using it?
2. Problems after the tune?
3. Tech support?
4. Denied warranty work?
5. Etc..

I have a tuner with 5 star and SVC but only used it for about 5k and currently have no tune loaded for nearly 6 months. I am debating on selling it as I don't think it's worth risking warranty for a change to me that is negligible.

LastLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on how you drive.

In town and just put putn around don't tell you much. But get into the throttle and it wakes it up.

It was not a night/day difference but I could certainly tell that it shifted much better with my SVC tune. Just like the sound of my Corsa exhaust, its there when I want it to be.

I have had no issues after install.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What performace mods you have on there?
Was the Tuner a night/day difference vs. stock (no tuner)?

My question for everyone is problems AFTER the tune

I think the biggest factor in running a custom tune is fuel quality. If you are running high test fuel, everything should be ok. The 6.2L itself is a very stout motor. I think sticking with a reputable tuner and good fuel, you should be fine.

On my truck, the biggest factor in me deciding to get a tune was, the stock shift points. They are awful, at least for me that is. With a tune the truck is a little more ballsy, holds shifts and is a little more responsive. I run 5 star tunes along with many others and have yet to see anyone complaining about something breaking.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How ORM is or isn't affected has been an issue for at least a few. Both ducatisps and Huck have mentioned this on the svc tune thread. Not limited to svc tunes though.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ran a 5 star tune for a while. I had one issue with the truck throwing codes in off-road mode while stepping on the throttle. But, the main reason I went back to stock was the fact that the tune shut off the Oxygen sensor. This meant that I would have to go back to stock and drive 100 miles if I wanted to pass my states emissions test.

OP
OP
RC51TOFUMAN

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How ORM is or isn't affected has been an issue for at least a few. Both ducatisps and Huck have mentioned this on the svc tune thread. Not limited to svc tunes though.

ORM = ?
Educate me on what that is....not familar with ORM
Thankyou everyone for the responses. It's really tough for me to decide. It's the last thing I need is an unreliable truck because I tinkered around with the PCM.
I had a 1993 mustang all modded out back in the day......after 160k+ miles(almost 200k miles)....stuff started to break down. I had V-twin sportbike with a power commander (much like a tuner sorta).Now I put around town in my lexus and until I bought my Raptor I would never thought of modding any vehicle.

My hesitation to jump on the tuner is unreliability and future problems down the road. I plan on keeping my Raptor for a long time. Wife truly doesnt know how I spent for this truck. My gift to myself for working working working
[emoji23]

Last edited:

Floyd91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ORM = ?
Educate me on what that is....not familar with ORM
Thankyou everyone for the responses. It's really tough for me to decide. It's the last thing I need is an unreliable truck because I tinkered around with the PCM.
I had a 1993 mustang all modded out back in the day......after 160k+ miles(almost 200k miles)....stuff started to break down. I had V-twin sportbike with a power commander (much like a tuner sorta).Now I put around town in my lexus and until I bought my Raptor I would never thought of modding any vehicle.

My hesitation to jump on the tuner is unreliability and future problems down the road. I plan on keeping my Raptor for a long time. Wife truly doesnt know how I spent for this truck. My gift to myself for working working working
[emoji23]

ORM = Off Road Mode.