Tuner on a 13' Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm posting to see if anyone else has had the same problem as me, as well as shoot a warning out to other 2013 owners. I bought a screw raptor last tuesday. It had 18 miles on it off the lot. I took it to the shop earlier today to get it a programmer put on. So we put it on (it was a diablo btw) made a backup of the on board computer, then proceeded to reprogram the thing. Everything came up normal and we were told to restart the truck. Upon restarting the truck sounded as if only 4 cylinders were firing and was carrying on like i don't know what. The person doing the programing recognized that it wasn't right and cut it off. He decided to tune it back to factory settings from the backup he made at the start. He kept getting errors and ended up corrupting the on board computer in the raptor. Turns out ford updated their software on the Raptor but didn't push the new update to companies such as Diablo as of yet. I was told this update was applied late December to January by Ford. Even though the software on the Diablo said it was for the 13 it wasn't compatible. Just a warning to anyone that's doing it in the future make sure everything checks out before you try to program it. They should have it pushed to the programmers in the next couple weeks. HOPEFULLY>

As of now it's sitting at the Ford place getting its harddrive reflashed with the correct firmware and settings. Poor thing. Had to see her loaded up on a flat bed b/c I couldn't drive her. I couldn't even eat my breakfast because of it. :(

On another note.. We talked to Diablo and they said this is the second raptor this has happened to. They apologized and said I'd get my money back as well as the programmer for free. Yay?

Edit: Spelling and grammar

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should check the voltage on the battery. They act funny if its low. Many time Ive seen they just not complete the reflash cycle. I would try the next time with a charger on the truck while flashing and make sure everything is off!

InMotionJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put SCTs on two 13s so far and other than needing to update the SCT firmware before downloading the tune everything was great.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I put SCTs on two 13s so far and other than needing to update the SCT firmware before downloading the tune everything was great.

Perhaps it was just the Diablo programmer that didn't get the memo. We updated the thing before we put it on the truck and it updated easily. Everything went smooth until we started it up. After that we tried to bring it back stock but kept spitting errors.

And It's a brand new battery, but I'll try what you said this next go around. Perhaps get a 5 star instead of this Diablo. How do they compare? I've not much experience in tuning.

Last edited:

InMotionJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had custom dyno tunes done on a past vehicle at the Diablo Facility but SCT has always been well known in the Ford area. The two tuners that I put on 2013 F150s were both just regular 3015 Handheld SCT tunes. They both had noticable throttle response, mileage was slightly better, all and all felt like a nice tune. Not sure how the 5 Star Compares.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
I have had custom dyno tunes done on a past vehicle at the Diablo Facility but SCT has always been well known in the Ford area. The two tuners that I put on 2013 F150s were both just regular 3015 Handheld SCT tunes. They both had noticable throttle response, mileage was slightly better, all and all felt like a nice tune. Not sure how the 5 Star Compares.

Awe, okay. Thanks for the reply. Only reason we went with Diablo is they had them at the shop from a past project. They said since my screw was on the assembly line a couple weeks ago that it has a newer firmware or whatever than what Diablo has stored in its system. Maybe they can get up to speed as I need all the extra milage I can get with 35's!

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
to the OP, what did the dealership say when they received your truck? Did they charge you to reflash the computer and informed you are now out of warranty?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T
Reaction score
to the OP, what did the dealership say when they received your truck? Did they charge you to reflash the computer and informed you are now out of warranty?

My mechanic is the one that talked to the dealership as he had friends there. They said they can get it in today so we took it up there around 12 (their lunch time) and dropped it off. Should hear something back in the next hour or so.

No, Diablo picked up the bill to get the truck towed as well as reflashed. I wasn't out any money whatsoever. And yes I'm still under warranty. Thankfully. :gay: