Tune while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For everyone who tows out there, and has a performance tune, do you tow with your performance tune loaded? Or do you use the factory tow/haul mode? I ask because I tow quite a bit, and like the tow/ haul mode from the factory but I want a performance tune for the better tranny shift points a bit more power. Leaning towards SVC for the tune but I'm open to opinions. Thanks!

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got the SVC tuner with the 5* tunes. Tow mode is pretty badass. Really has about the same shift points, but a lot more power IMO than stock. You can custom tune the shift points though, if you want.

OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, new to all this tuning stuff. So your 5* tunes have a specific tow tune? Or just a mode that can be switched with the tuner without loading a different tune? Or the factory tow/haul switch still works? Thanks for the help.

Mariner

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, 5* can write you a "tow mode" tune to the octane that you specify. You will have to load each individual tune though, takes 10 minutes tops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, new to all this tuning stuff. So your 5* tunes have a specific tow tune? Or just a mode that can be switched with the tuner without loading a different tune? Or the factory tow/haul switch still works? Thanks for the help.

The factory tow switch will still work, but like the Off Road Mode switch, it will most likely over-ride the tune.

The 5* tune package that you will get from 5 Star will have several 'modes'. For example, economy, tow, performance, street, etc. You will tell them what octane fuel you will want to use (I chose 89 octane). To switch between the 'modes', or different tunes, you will have to first remove the previous tune and install whatever 'mode' (tune) you will want. It isn't like you can switch back and forth on the fly. Not a difficult process, but a little time consuming if you are switching it all the time.....

I generally leave mine set on one tune (mode) unless I am making a long trip, then I will change it to whatever I want.

Give the guys over at 5* a call and they can probably tell you more of the technical ins-and-outs if you need them.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait, so if you load a tow tune and then press the Tow/haul mode, you aren't using the tune??

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait, so if you load a tow tune and then press the Tow/haul mode, you aren't using the tune??

I don't know that for sure, but that happens to a certain extent with the Off Road Mode. I would assume (nervously) that it would happen with the tow mode button.....

But, if you are using a tow mode tune, all the benefits of the changed transmission shifts and such are already there, so you wouldn't need to use it anyway. :)

EDIT: ok, you got me wondering so I called 5 Star to get it from the horse's mouth. The 5* "Tow Tune" is designed to work in conjunction with the "Tow Mode" in the truck. If you have the "Tow Tune" loaded and don't use the "Tow Mode" in the truck, then it acts like a Daily Driver tune. Still more horsepower and slightly more aggressive shifting. They designed the "Tow Tune" to NOT be deactivated when the "Tow Mode" button is pushed, but instead work with it. This would give you the Ford adjusted shift patterns and torque along with the augmented power.

Sorry for the previous assumption, and hope that this helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Prybar

Prybar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good info and seemingly different than what I understood of the SVC tune. I'll have to give those guys a call and I bet they can explain it better than what I was understanding over E-mail. It sounded to me like with the SVC tune you set the tuner to global spark 2 (I have no idea what that means) and it essentially turns the tune off and allows the factory tow/ haul mode. I would like more power all the time, especially while towing so that didn't seem like a good option to me.