"the Tune" by SVC vs. 93 Perf Tune by 5*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apeezie289

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've read the threads of the new SVC tune and also the 5* 93 performance tune but they have never (to my knowledge) been consolidated on one thread, so here we go.

I've had the SVC Tune for roughly one month now and it is OK. Shifts are very smooth, idle and starting are great, but it lacks PUNCH. No disrespect to the SVC crew as we have been working on logging and re-tunes for a few weeks now but I'm still looking for more power.

Unfortunately I have not run the 5* tune yet. I'm considering getting it for Raptoberfest coming up. From what I read on the forum, the 5* shifting strategy is a bit hectic, hard shifting and a bit much BUT it does make the truck run extremely well.

Has anyone run both? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks-

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 5star and love it, can't say anything for SVC but I'm sure it's just as good as the rest of there stuff. Haven't dealt with anyone from SVC but they seem like a class act, looking forward to doing business with them.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I got my tune before getting on frf it's in my sig but nothing at all to compare it to so basically subscribing.

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I should have my SVC tune this week, and will be coming off a 5 star 93 perfect tune, will update

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

D

Deleted member 12951

Guess it wasn't perfect....

I just got my tuner with 5 star so its too earlier to tell.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are looking for punch, the 5* Perf tune is your ticket. It definitely has that. But there can be too much of a good thing. Not sure if the Raptor is your daily driver or not. For me it was too punchy for daily driving. But for you it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Geo_Tactical

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tune seems to be focused on correcting the drivability issues with the stock tune first, while also providing a little more power second. I, personally, prefer this approach over abrupt shift points to increase the perception of "perfomance". I think it all depends on what you're looking for.

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Our tune was designed to improve driveability as well as pull as much power as possible without causing pre mature wear on the drive train that can be caused by other tunes. Every parameter is accounted for and pushed to it's highest potential while still staying within fords specifications.

Having gone through every major drive train component before hitting 60k miles in my personal vehicle this was key in our eyes when deciding to offer a custom tune.

I've taken the final datalogs and will try to help pull as much punch as possible to help achieve what your looking for. Since everyone has different views of what they want out of a tune there are times when we need to make individual tweeks. I'm hoping Monday we can find the cure and get the truck to where you want it.

-Jeff

RaptorVette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'I've had both tunes. I've worked with Mike w/ 5 star and Jeff w/SVC. Both were willing to modify the tunes to fit my requests/needs. I believe the 1/4 mile performance with all things equal, the 5 star would win . I was concerned about the long term effects on the transmission with the aggressive 5 star tune. Had mike add more torque management which smoothed the shifts out. I was okay wit it for a while but it was a compromise. So I decided to try out the SVC tune since Jeff hooked me up with the hard to find Toyo AT II tires.

I think that Jeff hit the nail on the head in saying that they maximized performance while maintaining long term reliability. But if you don't care about long term reliability and want the most performance for your dollar, 5 star if more aggressive. I will keep the SVC tune until I add the Whipple next year!

The main reason I considered a tune was because the stock shift points were terrible, especially if you are used to driving a manual car. Both tunes fix that problem.

Last edited:

svc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
'I've had both tunes. I've worked with Mike w/ 5 star and Jeff w/SVC. Both were willing to modify the tunes to fit my requests/needs. I believe the 1/4 mile performance with all things equal, the 5 star would win . I was concerned about the long term effects on the transmission with the aggressive 5 star tune. Had mike add more torque management which smoothed the shifts out. I was okay wit it for a while but it was a compromise. So I decided to try out the SVC tune since Jeff hooked me up with the hard to find Toyo AT II tires.

I think that Jeff hit the nail on the head in saying that they maximized performance while maintaining long term reliability. But if you don't care about long term reliability and want the most performance for your dollar, 5 star if more aggressive. I will keep the SVC tune until I add the Whipple next year!

The main reason I considered a tune was because the stock shift points were terrible, especially if you are used to driving a manual car. Both tunes fix that problem.

Wait until you try out our whipple tune!

-Jeff