Trans issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with a CAI, 5 Star tune, LTH's & dual 3" exhaust. (Other than the normal overheating the transmission when spinning around in the sand when it is 110f outside)

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ProCharger with Livernois tune, 580hp on Dyno, no trans problems and have 10,000 miles on truck. I think heat is the killer to any trans, and going to add another trans cooler before warm weather this year, along with a power steering cooler.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
42k so far no issues and I run mine in some very hot conditions. This truck has a thermostat that controls the fluid as well. Did a complete flush of my tranny with Amsoil and put a bigger finned pan on.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well maybe this was a very small issue but I and a few others have had clutches replaced due to issues with faulty control modules for the trannys. 2 trucks bought 10 days apart brand new and the other one zero issues. Mine was at 25-26k. It would slip the gear from 2-3 and then from 5th can't remember which way, but it was few hundred RPMs then DUMP the clutch. It was so rough and violent that it would spill coffee and I thought the rear end was going to go. Replaced the clutches, and control module, then flashed the computer again. Fixed it and haven't had issues as of yet with 40k on the truck.

Copied from this thread:
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/rough-shifting-10949/index3.html

"""Same problem. 2-3 shift 550 rpm jump then dump and 300ish~ rpm jump then dump 4-5th. They have a TSB for the control modules but that didn't fix mine they replaced the clutches and seem to take care of it. 24K at replacement."""

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

^^^ This is the one reason I am scared to put a tune on the truck. 2600 bucks to replace doesn't sound fun at all. I haven't looked but if I had to spend that kinda of money I would be looking for an upgrade or replacement that won't mess up.

kawie95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch the temp when offroading in automatic mode for the trans. Back and forth on the gears heats that puppy up. I think I've seen mine up to 240 degrees on the HUD display. I use select shift and keep the RPMs around 3 or 4k and the heat drops to around 220 degrees. Auto I think runs hotter because of the torque convertor (and of course shifting up and down, up and down is not very good for reducing heat). Select shift locks the torque convertor from what I heard on the Road to Baja video, but I could be wrong.

I really want a trans cooler from Outlaw. I wish they were in the back of the cab or something so they wont get damaged, but on the other hand I use my truck bed for dirtbikes and moving other peoples crap, so I really dont want to waste space behind the cab. :33:
http://www.outlawraptor.com/orp-7-8-30000-orp-raptor-transmission-cooler-system.html
A1%207-8-30000.jpg

Last edited:

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always get a chuckle out of these threads.. Been running coolers mounted in between the frame supports under the bed longer than some of you have been out of diapers.

HAHAHA—ok now go ahead and call me names now down to the good part. Notice in the pic posted the heat exchanger behind the tranny exchanger is not very clean? One of the biggest problems with heat buildup in the cooling system is just being dirty. Air that has to go through an insulator (dirt, bugs, seeds, grass, etc) does not cool nearly as well. This Raptor will not Ever Ever give you 160 running temps like the vehicles in the past.