trans doing odd stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On a long hiway trip , cruising , using cruise control , it would quickly act like i had let off the gas and got back on right away. It wasn't severe , took the gf a while to even notice. i was doing about 70mph , Torq Con locking and unlocking?

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a long hiway trip , cruising , using cruise control , it would quickly act like i had let off the gas and got back on right away. It wasn't severe , took the gf a while to even notice. i was doing about 70mph , Torq Con locking and unlocking?

It might help to know if it you have you done any tunes? What was the weather/road conditions/etc.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having transmission issues similar to yours. After several episodes to include jumping from 1st to 5th gear and staying there (until restart), to highway speed with the whole dash going crazy with no speed/RPM and torque wrench light, limp mode, ended up getting a new lead frame installed, extended warranty covered cost, minus $100 deduct. No issues after new lead frame.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It might help to know if it you have you done any tunes? What was the weather/road conditions/etc.

Right. Insufficient information.
What year, how many miles total, has the transmission ever been serviced, how many miles since the trans service, when it happened were you on a grade, etc.

OP
OP
G

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
14 , 84,000 miles , svt tune , had the pedal commander on but took it off , winter conditions very cold , dry roads , never any trans service done.

whats a lead frame?

Brandon###

Reaction score
14 , 84,000 miles , svt tune , had the pedal commander on but took it off , winter conditions very cold , dry roads , never any trans service done.

whats a lead frame?

I believe the lead frame is a part in the transmission which has various sensors and servos mounted on it.

It’s known for being faulty and forcing downshifts to 1st gear unexpectedly. In my case I was doing 50 mph and the truck went into 1st gear without warning. The rear tires locked up for a split second and I was almost rear ended.

There is a TSB, or could even be a recall by now, for our trucks up to the 2012’s. My truck was outside the build date criteria by a couple months but the dealership replaced my lead frame anyway.

I had similar symptoms of the transmission doing odd things while I was cruising, but that was after my lead frame was replaced. Those odd transmission symptoms turned into a case of the truck going into limp mode randomly.

I finally fixed it by having the pcm re-flashed.