Towing with Supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen any decent analog/digital ones? I don't have a good explanation, but I really like those. Only ones I have found are MaxTow.

Autometer has a couple series that are digital. Check out Cobalt and Sport Comp.

https://www.autometer.com/gauges.html

One thing you need to be careful of is finding a gauge with a 1/8" NPT sender for your AFE pan. I needed a 1/2" fitting; that's why I went with the PML pan. I'm sure there must be adapters out there but I didn't want to mess around with that.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Autometer has a couple series that are digital. Check out Cobalt and Sport Comp.

One thing you need to be careful of is finding a gauge with a 1/8" NPT sender for your AFE pan. I needed a 1/2" fitting; that's why I went with the PML pan. I'm sure there must be adapters out there but I didn't want to mess around with that.

Yeah, I have been looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS4HDXC/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

I like the basic style of it (I wish it didn't say maxtow right there) and it comes with the proper sender unit for my pan. I just have to pull the plug and slap the sensor in real quick whilst trying to limit being covered in ATF. I haven't found any other that has the dual display. The only stitch is that the matching boost gauge goes to 30psi (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY4U02I/?tag=fordraptorforum-20) - which is not needed in this application. I'd like 15 or 20. That said, it might be pretty matchy with the existing Roush gauge, but it's hard to say.

Reaction score
What is this? What is the install like? It is simply an ODB II connection?

I'm very iffy on my Roush gauge and that's what started me down this path. It's only showing maybe 6 and peak and should be more like 11. Also it's my second gauge and doesn't seem consistent with the first one that showed higher readings. It's like it pegs at six and stops, but I think my boost is actually fine.

Yes it’s an OBD II connection. There isn’t any “install” really. Just plug it in and connect to it.

You can get the ELM 27 OBD II dongle plug it in and download the app of your choice. The dongles are pretty cheap usually less than $10. Then you can use your phone or a tablet of your choice.
I had an amazon fire 8 HD tablet that I got for free so I just used that. They are only $60 if you need to buy one. I feel like it’s the perfect size and you don’t need extra tablet features of say an iPad.
I used a magnet cell phone mount and stuck it to the dash. It sits low enough that it doesn’t sit above where the hood line is so there is no loss on the field of view for the road.

The app I downloaded let’s you customize your screens so you can put what ever parameters you want to look at.

The transmission temp sensor should be standard on the truck, for my 13 it was already on there, and even accessible via the truck app in the instrument panel.

Also a huge benefit I have found is if you throw any codes you can read and clear them on the fly.

I will get more pics of the other screens and post them in a bit.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes it’s an OBD II connection. There isn’t any “install” really. Just plug it in and connect to it.

You can get the ELM 27 OBD II dongle plug it in and download the app of your choice. The dongles are pretty cheap usually less than $10. Then you can use your phone or a tablet of your choice.
I had an amazon fire 8 HD tablet that I got for free so I just used that. They are only $60 if you need to buy one. I feel like it’s the perfect size and you don’t need extra tablet features of say an iPad.
I used a magnet cell phone mount and stuck it to the dash. It sits low enough that it doesn’t sit above where the hood line is so there is no loss on the field of view for the road.

The app I downloaded let’s you customize your screens so you can put what ever parameters you want to look at.

The transmission temp sensor should be standard on the truck, for my 13 it was already on there, and even accessible via the truck app in the instrument panel.

Also a huge benefit I have found is if you throw any codes you can read and clear them on the fly.

Interesting. I already have a tablet in my jeep for offline maps, so it's pretty easy to see how to do this. I may take a hybrid approach.

Yes, my 12 does have a trans temp in the dash and you can display it digitally. I tow a fair amount these days and have heated that sucker up pretty bad twice, so the concept of a dedicated gauge/sensor appeals to me. I've found that the in-dash one doesn't move very smoothly once it starts to heat up - it's nearly an all or none thing so I wouldn't mind a bit more granularity. Yes, I can have that digitally in the dash - all things I'm noodling on.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. I already have a tablet in my jeep for offline maps, so it's pretty easy to see how to do this. I may take a hybrid approach.

Yes, my 12 does have a trans temp in the dash and you can display it digitally. I tow a fair amount these days and have heated that sucker up pretty bad twice, so the concept of a dedicated gauge/sensor appeals to me. I've found that the in-dash one doesn't move very smoothly once it starts to heat up - it's nearly an all or none thing so I wouldn't mind a bit more granularity. Yes, I can have that digitally in the dash - all things I'm noodling on.

The factory trans temp, water temp, and oil pressure gauges are best thought of as idiot lights (they basically only read "ok" or "warning").

Ford has been doing that for decades.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The factory trans temp, water temp, and oil pressure gauges are best thought of as idiot lights (they basically only read "ok" or "warning").

Ford has been doing that for decades.

Came across this the other day, not sure if you've seen it.

Thoughts? Website isn't great, but search the page for "Raptor" and you'll find the product.
FORD

s477132602315564541_p343_i1_w1066.jpg

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Came across this the other day, not sure if you've seen it.

Thoughts? Website isn't great, but search the page for "Raptor" and you'll find the product.
FORD

s477132602315564541_p343_i1_w1066.jpg

That's a really great find!

Only issue for me would be losing center channel speaker.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I got my transmission temp gauge installed. I've only driven it once so far, but I notice a pretty large difference between the temp reported from the stock/dash gauge and the temp on my new gauge. This makes sense to me since I think the stock gauge is measuring from in the tranny (maybe a line?) and the aftermarket gauge is measuring from the pan where the fluid has already run through the cooler and come back into the pan. I haven't really gotten the tranny very hot yet, but so far I'm noticing about a 25 degree difference between the two gauges. Does this sound about right? It makes sense to me and I would think that you really want to start being more concerned if that variation starts to decrease? I'm curious to see the results when I'm actually working the truck, but what are you seeing on your setup?

My AFE pan did have a 1/8" fitting and that matched the sensor, so that was a pretty simple install. Running the wire out of harm's (heat) way was a bit more interesting and I ended up coming up through the floor with an existing wire.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Think I may go this approach too. Got used to the A-pillar gauges in other vehicles but this time I would prefer to go a different route. Worst case is if I don't like it I didn't shell out hundreds for it.
Thought I read something on another thread on here to be careful about which OBDII dongle to use?