Towing with Supercharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 18' North River fishing boat all the time with my Roush SC Raptor. Never had one single issue, just more power when you need it.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, just got done towing a 20' camper trailer from Denver, through Yellowstone, to Billings, and back home (1,500 miles). I can tell you that the new supercharger tows like a ***** ape. You can pass anything but a gas station (9 mph, you can do the math). 85mph uphill, no problem. The motor was working, but still not screaming either. That supercharger is a BEAST! I also discovered how easy it is to spin the tires (not towing). I never had anything close to a heat problem in the tranny nor motor. In fact, and I'm not positive here, I'd almost say that the tranny stays cooler since it basically stays a gear higher than it would otherwise. It never drops below 4th gear - even in the nastiest hills - and 4th gear pulls like nothing. Most of the time on cruise control (these are WY speed limits of 80mph) it just sits in 6th, occasionally dropping to 5th.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Resurrecting a thread with a related question.

I already have a boost gauge, but what other aftermarket gauges might you recommend for towing? I expect to do a fair amount of towing this summer and want to keep everything healthy. I did have some issues with my tranny temp getting pretty hot if I got caught slowly towing up a steep hill (due to traffic, not power). So I upgraded my tranny pan and transmission cooler to counteract that. Still, I want to keep an eye on things. I realize there is an in-dash transmission gauge, but the stitch there is that it doesn't seem smooth. Once you start getting hot it goes up into yellow (never hit red, but damned close) VERY fast. So I started using the digital transmission display in the dash, and that provides a far more precise digital temperature, but it takes the entire display.

I was considering adding a dedicated gauge for it in my pillar and that got me thinking about what else might be wise. Would you suggest monitoring EGT for a supercharged gasser towing? I know it's typically a diesel thing, but does the supercharged bit make that an important thing to watch? Other things to monitor other than the obvious engine temp and oil pressure?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Resurrecting a thread with a related question.

I already have a boost gauge, but what other aftermarket gauges might you recommend for towing? I expect to do a fair amount of towing this summer and want to keep everything healthy. I did have some issues with my tranny temp getting pretty hot if I got caught slowly towing up a steep hill (due to traffic, not power). So I upgraded my tranny pan and transmission cooler to counteract that. Still, I want to keep an eye on things. I realize there is an in-dash transmission gauge, but the stitch there is that it doesn't seem smooth. Once you start getting hot it goes up into yellow (never hit red, but damned close) VERY fast. So I started using the digital transmission display in the dash, and that provides a far more precise digital temperature, but it takes the entire display.

I was considering adding a dedicated gauge for it in my pillar and that got me thinking about what else might be wise. Would you suggest monitoring EGT for a supercharged gasser towing? I know it's typically a diesel thing, but does the supercharged bit make that an important thing to watch? Other things to monitor other than the obvious engine temp and oil pressure?

I think boost and transmission are the most important ones.

That said. I have a bit of a gauge problem. Here is what I have:

1) Boost/Vac
2) Air/fuel
3) Fuel pressure
4) Oil temperature
5) Oil pressure
6) Water temperature (radiator)
7) Water temperature (intercooler)
8) Transmission temperature
9) Voltmeter

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think boost and transmission are the most important ones.

That said. I have a bit of a gauge problem. Here is what I have:

1) Boost/Vac
2) Air/fuel
3) Fuel pressure
4) Oil temperature
5) Oil pressure
6) Water temperature (radiator)
7) Water temperature (intercooler)
8) Transmission temperature
9) Voltmeter

Do you have a picture of how you have all of those crammed in there?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of how you have all of those crammed in there?

In the works along with some other stuff. Plan to update my build thread when the work is all done.

Initially, I had 3 in the A pillar, and 3 in vent pods (as shown in build thread).

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the works along with some other stuff. Plan to update my build thread when the work is all done.

Initially, I had 3 in the A pillar, and 3 in vent pods (as shown in build thread).

Which A pillar triple gauge pod did you use? I looked in your built page, but don't see a brand.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which A pillar triple gauge pod did you use? I looked in your built page, but don't see a brand.

I got mine from SDHQ. Doesn't look like it's on the website anymore, though. You could try calling those guys but my guess is it's an Autometer product anyway.

Here it is with and without a tweeter mount...

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-triple-rplcment-pillar-w-o-speaker-f-150-09-14.html

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-triple-rplcment-pillar-w-speaker-f-150-09-14.html

They also have options with fewer gauges and also steering column mounts.

jpwrx2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running a procharger dsc1 with no issues towing. I recently pulled a Dodge Challenger about 150 miles with zero issues