Stock Spark Plug Gapping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the stock spark plug gapping?
Does anyone know if you can run a .030 gapped spark plug in stock setting ? If not why ?

Page 397 of the manual states the gap for a 6.2L V8 is the following:
.041-.047 in.
1.04-1.20 mm

That said, if you run something like a NGK sparkplug it looks like NGK says .030 is acceptable.

I think sticking with the spark plug manufacturer's recommendation is probably safe since they will know what it takes to run optimally. Ford's recommendation is based on using OEM plugs.

OP
OP
BRAPPPP

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Page 397 of the manual states the gap for a 6.2L V8 is the following:

.041-.047 in.

1.04-1.20 mm

That said, if you run something like a NGK sparkplug it looks like NGK says .030 is acceptable.

I think sticking with the spark plug manufacturer's recommendation is probably safe since they will know what it takes to run optimally. Ford's recommendation is based on using OEM plugs.

So the NGK's you can run at .030 regardless if it's stock or super charged ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, having a supercharger shouldn't make a difference. (Though it looks as if the NGK’s might be able to handle greater temperatures making it more suitable for supercharged engines).

I just sent the NGK link as an example of a plug whose recommend gap was different than Ford's recommend gap settings. Not necessarily a recommendation of the plug itself.

OP
OP
BRAPPPP

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know, having a supercharger shouldn't make a difference. (Though it looks as if the NGK’s might be able to handle greater temperatures making it more suitable for supercharged engines).

I just sent the NGK link as an example of a plug whose recommend gap was different than Ford's recommend gap settings. Not necessarily a recommendation of the plug itself.

Yeah I just called a reputable tuner today and they say it will be fine running stock tune with the NGK gapped down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norcalsvt

Reaction score
I just changed the plugs & the plugs removed were all at .41. The new imstalled oem were all .47. It doesnt seem to run any different