Stainless Works - Long Tubes & Cat Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did a search to see if there was anything on the issues I was having and I did not see anything. If there are threads that discussion them please share as I searched and they did not come up. (title only search fyi)

Issue 1.
I am getting a 02 sensor error. P codes (will update with exact one)
** truck has 23100 miles total on it. headers and exhaust installed at 6100 miles. Context of trouble shooting.**

- Stainless says this system should have no check engine lights and initially I did not have any. Now I am getting them so 02's burned out in 19K miles or do their cats just SUCK as I have heard here and there?
- I am going to run 02 extenders to see if that helps.
- other thought is their 02 wire extenders causing voltage drop after years of being exposed to dirt and grime? AKA need to confirm it is a weather proof plug which It might not be.

Anyone else have issues with the rear 02's on long tubes and headers?

Issue 2:
Idle issue. The truck at idle sounds like it is going to stall and hunts for normal. Idle drop off almost sounds like there is a vacuum leak. I am not the only truck that has this as well from others who have the long tubes.

- There is no vacuum leak as all lines checked and even installed all the stock parts. Have S&B intake on there and same issues.
- Issue is not always consistent as sometime it will idle fine

Use thread to discuss other header / car issues as well.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There are a couple of issues related to headers and the rear O2s
If memory serves me right,

1) With Hi Flow cats quite a few guys needed O2 spacers.
2) The wire harness needed to be replaced from the rear O2s
3) Header bolts come loose
4) The Tune

Each one of these issues does have a solution.
If I have some time I'll try to find the threads or posts.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/o2-sensor-spacers-35240/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f160/long-tube-headers-engine-light-4706/index7.html#post947453

Good Luck

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only problem I had was when my canister purge valve was failing it caused the codes for the cats to trip, had the dealer replace the valve and clear the codes and have not had a problem for the last two years, I have 80,000 miles on my SW system

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bank 2 rear O2 sensor harness dose not have the extension like the passenger side.
Having said that replacing the drivers wire harness would be your next step if the new O2 doesn't fix the error code.
The O2 spacers will probably help stop the O2s from burning out so fast.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
m3dragon

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the SS cats basically suck and need 02 extenders is what I am gathering.

What I was leaning towards but wanted to see what others had experienced.

To note I have tired with and with out tune. Tune did not resolve the issues unless I code the rear 02 out.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Tune won't do anything for O2 readings only on and off
That is if you had the Tuner make you a Tune with the rear O2s off.
But passing inspection is a no go with them off.

A lot of guys went with green cats or had the stock ones welded back in.
Cheapest way is extenders.

Stock cats are the best quality, I'm running full stock exhaust and getting 560 rwhp.
@metronyc welded the stock cats back in on his AR headers and is using extenders.
I mentioned him so that he may chime in and confirm this just incase he switched it up.

Last edited:

metronyc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, @MTF right 100 percent, i had ARH headers with free flow green cats. i have experienced some issue with O2 back sensors .eventuly we find out that all the issue is the cats. i have them removed and have the stock ones back and with a little help from JDM tune calibration, the truck performs flawlessly for last 20k miles. The engine tuned to the safe output of 760 hp and its NYC emission legal and pass the inspection with no issues.

Last edited: