Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juanchy21MIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie question.

I have a 2013 with 88,000 miles with minor mods (CAI, Tune, Exhaust). I plan on changing spark plugs soon, maybe I waited too long. But my question is should I change my wires as well? If so which ones should I get? I'm going to use NGK-6510 SPARK PLUG.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went OEM. Just had mine done at 80k too. truck runs a lot better .....but my gas mileage dropped to 10.3 from 11.4....
The reason for going OEM, I have read mixed reviews about the results and trucks not running right....If you go NGK there should be a specific gap for NA set up and supercharged

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went OEM. Just had mine done at 80k too. truck runs a lot better .....but my gas mileage dropped to 10.3 from 11.4....

did you make any other changes at all?
same gas station same overall route ect?

just curious honestly lol, im getting almost 13 in town and about to do plugs soon.

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score

just curious honestly lol, im getting almost 13 in town and about to do plugs soon.

Same Sam's wholesale club gas station (cheapest gas around where I live). Truck runs a lot crisper since the plugs were changed. Same PC setting city PLus 3, same tune SVC v4. I have been driving the same, like a normal person...At this point I give up. lol

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing the plugs too. 101K miles so it's time. I have two part numbers, NGK-6509 @ $9.99 each and Motorcraft SP-526 @ $4.89 each. My engine is completely stock and I'd be more concerned with a mileage increase more than anything. Is there a benefit with NGK plug?

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking about changing the plugs too. 101K miles so it's time. I have two part numbers, NGK-6509 @ $9.99 each and Motorcraft SP-526 @ $4.89 each. My engine is completely stock and I'd be more concerned with a mileage increase more than anything. Is there a benefit with NGK plug?

the one thing you need to like for sure know know about plugs. is the best conducting material with what temps they can withstand and how bright that bish can get.

if they are made from the same materials, with the same gap and one is cheaper. get the cheaper.

if one is noticeably made or stated made with better materials providing a more consistently bright spark then for sure make a switch.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rookie question.

I have a 2013 with 88,000 miles with minor mods (CAI, Tune, Exhaust). I plan on changing spark plugs soon, maybe I waited too long. But my question is should I change my wires as well? If so which ones should I get? I'm going to use NGK-6510 SPARK PLUG.

I used NGK 6509's and mine had around 155k miles when I did it, I think if the wires look ok you don't need to replace them (burnt, rubbed off insulator, misfire code that new plugs doesn't cure, etc.). The upper 8 plugs don't have a wire since the coil pack lives on them, the lower 8 plugs have short wires to the aforementioned coil pack. New wires likely wouldn't do much more than look cool...probably why I will eventually get some lol!

Invest in that Gear Wrench socket if you don't already have one, it's well worth it.

Same Sam's wholesale club gas station (cheapest gas around where I live). Truck runs a lot crisper since the plugs were changed. Same PC setting city PLus 3, same tune SVC v4. I have been driving the same, like a normal person...At this point I give up. lol

You hauling around more weight maybe? Not saying you're getting fat lol, just that you've done some mods lately, don't remember offhand if they added enough to merit 0.9 mpg loss...

I don't think the OP question about replacing the wires was answered here yet. I too am interested if people are replacing their wires when replacing the spark plugs.

In another post these wires were brought up as an option:
2011 - 2014 Ford 6.2L MPG Ignition Wires and Coil Pack Internals - Includes Ford Raptor (Does Not Include Coil Packs): Granatelli Motorsports

I haven't seen those, I saw posted somewhere else that Ford Performance had them, and you could possibly cut your own Accel but they didn't have a 6.2L precut set available...

R@pt0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$300 for some bright green wires? Please! I just did this just this weekend. My plug wires looked fine and I suspect you could make your own as long as the boots fit the plugs and the ends fit the COPs. I did notice that all 8 of the top plugs looked clean, but all 8 of the bottom plugs were dirty with carbon. Anyone else have the same? Perhaps all loop back around in a few months and check the plugs again. Perhaps the wires do need to be replaced.

03svt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed out mine at 67k and yes they do look the same plus the factory gaps were pretty big 040-045. I used NGK 6509 gapped them .030 and the truck feels better.

The thing I'm kicking myself for is I didn't use any dielectric grease on the coil or plug boots. I would just change the wires next time after another 50k anyway, but perhaps it's a better job to use the stuff and to seal the coils up too.

Did you guys use dielectric grease?

Old plugs

IMG_0699.jpg