So you bought a Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thedefboy

Reaction score
Yes i bought a 2012 crew cab with 69k on it .
Had it for 6 days and it blew up:mad:
So what's my options for a new motor or is the original motor worth tearing into?

And yes for the one's that will ask ; it stalled at a light after passing a car, nothing stupid , just a down shift and then stopped at the light . Truck started to run rough stumble and died. Started it back up and started to make bad noise.
pulled over and found knocking from where i can only imagine was from the top of the motor???

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awful luck I'm so sorry to hear that. These trucks have issues here and there but that is absolutely terrible.

If you bought your truck from a dealer I recommend taking it back and asking for a refund/fix.

6 days of ownership and less than 70k means the person before you DESTROYED the truck.

I run mine really hard and I have 84k and the only serious issue I have had are some sensors going bad in my transmission.

If you bought it from a person I don't know how to go about that but a new motor I'd roughly estimate is 8 grand.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

6 months and I'd be less forgiving but 6 freaking days means the sale was set up for you to fail.

I must ask and I hope not but is it tuned? Or could it be tuned without your knowledge? Running 87 hard in a 93 tune would put the hurt on the motor pretty bad.... But that should have all been openly disclosed at the time of sale.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

thedefboy

Reaction score
No tune, truck was originally bought new in Miami, Florida
Stock truck , i crawled all over this truck, no underside damage paint and interior were perfect.
It lost a valve i think and was smacking piston. differently a top end issue.

Northwest Motor sports sold the truck and the service guy i spoke to first (DAVE):flipthebird: was a total ***** . he had the balls to speak to me like i was a stupid kid that just wrecked his old mans truck. He said and i " this sh*t doesn't just happen and you must have been roddin the living crap out of her) :specialed:

Finally after i had asked to speak with someone else the situation was slightly defused. I explained i bought this truck to use and actually take it to Baja in March, which the truck was built for this type of stuff.. And a SVT motor should be able to handle being used as advertised...

So we will see what happens next. I will get it fixed even if i have to pay first then let the court settle it later on. i found some motors online with 3 year warranty parts and labor for 4500 which isnt a bad deal. was going to see what crate or rebuilt newish motor costs next

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks. On the upshot it may be the ideal time to upgrade the internals if the block is OK. If it dropped a valve then you will need a piston, and head for that side. Rebuilt might take longer but you could come out ahead in the end. I don't think I would trust the ***** for that work though.

98infinity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 75k on mine and run it like the **** out of it Never an issue. This sounds trollish

OP
OP
T

thedefboy

Reaction score
Believe it or not the complete new long block is 4500 and i will be putting in the new one and saving the old one and have it fixed. i will probably upgrade some stuff . Just not sure what needs to be done with the 6.2 cause i am new to this motor.
What type of upgrades are required to be in the motor if eventually place a supercharger or some other type of power adder ?
I have been going to Baja for 15 years now and riding off road on bikes.
As much as i like the bikes a truck might be a nice change of pace .

rmschaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask the ***** to come to the next raptor run for some evening entertainment!!!

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Lower compression work real well with superchargers that have undersized pulleys for more boost. Not sure what internals. But I would guess crank, rods, wrist pins, valve springs, pushrods, keepers, and any upgraded hardware, I.E. from grade 8 bolts to grade 12.

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You hear VERY few major issues with our 6.2l. Suspicious to say the least with the previous owner (and dealer you got it from).