SCT X4 canned tunes vs 5 star or SVC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmccown

Reaction score
I just installed the 87 performance tune on my 14 Screw and I can tell a noticeable different in throttle response and more firm shifting. If I go with a tune from 5 star or SVC will there be a dramatic difference over what I'm already seeing?

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your always going to benefit more from a custom tune. As one of the top Ford tuners in the world we can provide and awesome file for you! We don't believe in have 17 different tunes for fuel quality and different driving habits. That is a smoke screen, your truck's PCM is so advanced and smart that it makes changes on the fly all on it's own including differences in fuel quality. Constantly reflashing the PCM can cause issues and opens up the chance of locking your PCM during a download. Rare but it has happened if you do some research. Ford doesn't give you 17 tunes for different fuel and driving habits because you simply don't need them. You just need one bad ass tune that does it all and be done with it until you want to upgrade more parts! Most of these multiple tune files just have a small difference in shift points or throttle response to make it feel different to the driver.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just to point out also, SCT does not write the Tunes that come pre-loaded.
They are out sourced to one of the the many Tuning programmers within their network.
Who that would be, I don't know.

Also the answer to your question is tough to say, I think your the only one using a pre-loaded Tune from SCT!
At least that I'm aware of. It could be a member already posted something and I just haven't seen it.

Question, what does SCT claim their preloaded Tunes do? Performance wise.
I tried looking over their website but info is very vague as to what claims they are making.

Last edited:

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will definitely see a difference IMO. Jim is right. I am currently running 2 different custom tunes. One from JDM(they are great people to work with!), and one from a local shop here in Houston. If you want better performance go get on a dyno with someone with experience with raptors, or much easier and cheaper is just let Jim do a tune for you at JDM. I cannot speak for the tune you currently have, but talk to Jim, and he can get you what you want. I have also run 5star tunes and they are excellent as well. Jim is better on the customer service side, so I have stuck with JDM for the last few years.

Reaction score
I have the x4 with 5stars 93 tune for my 2014 roush stage 2, but when i really open it up I am getting an extremely hard shift in 3rd that has me worried enough that I got a second tune from SVC offroad. Any body else experiencing this? Also the SVC is occasionally causing the engine light to come on code p420 or something having to do with the O2 sensors that appears to correct itself immediately but the light stays on. Any info on my issues is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk