SCT Livewire TS question regarding backup camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My question is in regard to the backup camera feature of the SCT Livewire TS, so this may not necessarily be the correct forum category to post it. I just figured I'd get more feedback from people familiar with the Livewire TS here than in the interior/exterior mod categories.

QUESTION:
I understand that the Livewire TS can automatically activate the rear camera when the truck is backing up and have the camera view display on the Livewire LCD. What exactly triggers this? Does it receive a signal through the OBDII port that the truck is in reverse?

I have the front facing camera, but I really don't care for it's function in stock configuration. I'd rather be able to activate the front camera on demand at any time I wish. Would it be possible to connect the OEM front camera or even an aftermarket front camera to the Livewire TS and turn it on with a switch? I'm assuming this will be a little more difficult to accomplish if the Livewire TS receives the reverse signal through the OBDII port, but maybe it just uses a trigger from the reverse lights or something simple like that.

Anyone know?

I really don't mind if I have to disconnect my OEM front camera fron the vehicle harness as I really find it pretty useless at the times Ford allows it to be activated. If I have to cut and/or splice into the front camera wire and install a video RCA jack for the Livewire, I'm fine with that.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, Slacker.

Is this the Nav-TV part I would need?

I'm aware that the Nav-TV will solve my problem, but I thought maybe the extra $200 for the Livewire over the X3 may solve my problem.

Noah at The Car Stereo Company can help you with the Nav-Tv. He might even be able to answer your questions regarding the Live Wire.

Goofball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got NAV-TV and its the only way to go. You will be glad you got it. The screen on the tuner is just to small anyway.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't want to spend the money on a Nav TV when all I need is to view the front camera and I'm already buying a Livewire. If the Livewire can do it for "free", I don't see the need to spend the extra $$$. The other nav tv functions I'm just not interested in.

I'll give it a shot and report back. If it doesn't work, nav TV can be plan b, but after my whole exterior lighting mod is done, which is going to take months.