SCrew 6.2 Towing Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before the flame war starts, I KNOW the Raptor is not made for serious towing. That is why I have an F350. I had a 100 mile round trip to do today and thought I would give the Raptor a try at towing and see how she handled it compared to my Expedition (which can't tow worth a shit..with sway bars it could only do 55mph on an empty 24' enclosed Pace trailer).

Trailer: 4600# or so empty. 28' Pace enclosed. No sway bars, just a bumper hitch.

On the way to pick up the UTV's today I had the empty trailer and while there was a little sway at 72mph, it was completely within reason. Gusts of wind blew it and created some sway, but nothing that wasn't manageable. After loading 3000# of UTV's into the trailer, 70mph was sketchy enough that the truck computer told me to slow down due to trailer sway. I slowed down to 65mph and it was just like 72mph unloaded. Going up a 4% grade was a breeze, tranny downshifted and kept it going at cruise control set speed. Trailer brake system worked as it should. All in all, I was impressed and give it 2 thumbs up.

Update: I was bending my frame towing this with a car inside. I did switch to a weight distro hitch after these were taken. Fully loaded with car, fuel, gear ect I was so far over the max weight on the SCrew it wasn't funny (I have mentioned this in other threads). Fully loaded, the Raptor will still tow at 70mph but the wind from passing 18 wheelers were enough to shove the truck and trailer into another lane.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Last edited:

BWMEEKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before the flame war starts, I KNOW the Raptor is not made for serious towing. That is why I have an F350. I had a 100 mile round trip to do today and thought I would give the Raptor a try at towing and see how she handled it compared to my Expedition (which can't tow worth a shit..with sway bars it could only do 55mph on an empty 24' enclosed Pace trailer).

Trailer: 4600# or so empty. 28' Pace enclosed. No sway bars, just a bumper hitch.

On the way to pick up the UTV's today I had the empty trailer and while there was a little sway at 72mph, it was completely within reason. Gusts of wind blew it and created some sway, but nothing that wasn't manageable. After loading 3000# of UTV's into the trailer, 70mph was sketchy enough that the truck computer told me to slow down due to trailer sway. I slowed down to 65mph and it was just like 72mph unloaded. Going up a 4% grade was a breeze, tranny downshifted and kept it going at cruise control set speed. Trailer brake system worked as it should. All in all, I was impressed and give it 2 thumbs up.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Thanks...good to know for those of us still daydreaming about our Raptors.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to see a Raptor gettin her tow on, but maybe I missed something..... Where does the "6.4" come from in the title??

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my supercab towing 6400lbs from Lake City, Mi to Va... I have a weight distrubition hitch and I had zero problems pulled it like a dream... Its a 24ft encolsed Hallmark...

Attachments

• DSC00338.jpg
    DSC00338.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 150

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
That is pretty impressive 7600 pounds towing. almost pushing the 8k limit. I'm curious it towed well but how did mileage do?

OP
OP
SPRSNK

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is pretty impressive 7600 pounds towing. almost pushing the 8k limit. I'm curious it towed well but how did mileage do?

I reset that before I left too so I would know. 12.2mpg :birgits_tiredcoffee Better MPG than my F350!

I admit that the weight distribution hitch/bars would have made a noticeable difference. In my experience it would have added 5-10mph difference in capability. I do not have them installed on this trailer yet and probably will not because my F350 does not need them. I did this as a basic setup to see how it would do stock and give everyone a baseline to start from with their rigs.