SC questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JBH

Reaction score
I just turned 5k on my 2014 and looking to SC. From all the information and disinformation I've sifted thru over the last month I was hoping some of you guys who are more knowledgeable can confirm some observations.
Comparing the Whipple and Roush 650 JDM kits:
Roush performs better low and mid range.
Whipple is larger so has more headroom and starts to shine where Roush starts to fall off in upper range.

Other question is at 650HP are billet oil pump gears, upgraded leaf springs, and upgraded driveshaft necessary or just luxuries if I want to spend extra money?

I've spoken briefly with Roush and Whipple and they didn't feel they were needed. Whipple said there stage 2 kit which I believe is 700hp is built for a bone stock truck.

Thanks for your responses.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will need upgraded rear springs if you want to launch hard off the line, otherwise you will get wheel hop.

mike.s

Reaction score
I still had wheel hop even with upgraded springs. Traction bars, like the ones Rogue makes, are the only way to eliminate wheel hop 100%. Or you could go 4-link, that would get rid of it too. :happy107:

FWIW, I was on stock drive shaft at 700hp and had no problems.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the Whipple stage 11 with the 60 lbs. injectors! It's a little cheaper as a kit now and you won't be looking for more a year down the road.
I've spent a lot more money buying the first Whipple (Oct 2011) kit then upgrading twice then you will pay up front for the Whipple stage 11 now.
And I still do not have the larger intercooler holding tank (extra gallon of coolant)

The statement Roush (only the Roush Stage 11 with smaller pulley) performs better at low to mid range is no longer true.
The Whipple stage 11 comes with a smaller SC pulley, two stages smaller as a matter of fact.
Smaller the pulley faster ramp up of boost and of course more power and torque.

You might find a deal at @svc!

I would suggest upgrading the rear springs regardless, stock rear springs suck!!!
Traction bars are a must have, like @mike.s said, nothing else eliminates wheel hop.
This will save you on a driveshaft and oil pump gears.

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed Roush II @ 6.5K miles. Went with the Ford Racing TB upgrade. Deavers, Rogue traction bars, and Helwig sway bar. I initially installed the Axel exchange drive shaft as recommended by JDM, but noticed it caused my transmission seal to leak. Swapped back to the OEM drive shaft while I ordered a new seal. The leak went away and I never did re-install the "stronger" drive shaft. Basically wasted $680. The exhaust cut out is a fun MOD. In theory it allows peak HP development aprox 200 rpm sooner??

MTF has been my reference for these MODs and he has been very helpful and knowledgeable. But, for me, I just did not like how close the Wipple sits to the fire wall. Plus, I personally do not like the sound of saying "Wipple." Reminds me of the toilet paper commercial back in the day...

R,
HAP

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL.

Hey HAP, what front yoke is on the Axle Exchange Driveshaft?
You may have an older version.
Call Axle Exchange there customer service is outstanding!!!
They also don't **** you on shipping cost if you decide to let them service it.

Last edited:

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL.

Hey HAP, what front yoke is on the Axle Exchange Driveshaft?
You may have an older version.
Call Axle Exchange there customer service is outstanding!!!
They also don't **** you on shipping cost if you decide to let them service it.

MTF, I think I will give them a call. Did not know there were different dimensions as you mentioned.

Thanks,
HAP

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not so much dimensions, I haven't spoken with Axle Exchange in over a year so I don't want to post anything misleading.
Call them, get it straight from the horses mouth.

Ask for Mark (owner) he usually answers the phones anyway.
Mention your on the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JBH

Reaction score
I really appreciate the info MTF. I actually wanted the Whipple but my driving habits had me leaning towards the Roush. I will most likely lean towards the stage 2 Whipple. Will definitely upgrade the leaf springs.