Roush and Whipple Supercharged Raptors, Keep Cool this summer with...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ONLY 3 MORE DAYS LEFT ON THIS SALE!!!! ENDS JULY 31st!!!

AFCO's 2010-2014 Ford F-150 Raptor Heat Exchanger and Pro Series Heat exchanger with Dual Cooling Fans!!

AFCO Racing Products is proud to announce the launch of our new Heat Exchanger for the 2010 & Up Supercharged F-150/Raptor. Reduce coolant temperatures up to 30°F and unlock the full potential of your F-150/Raptor with a fast 1-2 hour installation time.

The 80284NDP is over 3 times thicker than other Heat Exchangers. The 80284 offers increased surface area, volume, and a double pass design (uses a baffle to pass the coolant through the core twice) to help reduce coolant temperatures by as much as 30°F!!!

The 80284PRO comes with the dual fans which adds over 1600 CFM of constant airflow (800 CFM per fan) to reduce heat soak when there is reduced air flow through the heat exchanger.

These heat exchangers will fit Roush or Whipple supercharger kits. Whipple installations require extra mounting brackets.

Details:

Core utilizes 2 rows of 1.00” tubes – 3 times thicker than most competitors.
Can be installed in approximately 1-2 hours.
Dual 10” SPAL fans that pull 800 CFM each – helps prevent heat soak (80284PRO only).
Dual relay wiring harness (80284PRO only) with detailed instructions for easy installation.
Fits Roush or Whipple supercharger kits.
Fits ’10 & Up Ford Raptor and F150.
Drops coolant temps 30° F.

CALL US TODAY FOR QUESTIONS OR TO PLACE AN ORDER! SALE ENDS JULY 31ST 732-780-0770 or Email [email protected]. THE SUMMER IS COMING, HELP KEEP YOUR TRUCK COOL!

80284NDP - $461.99
or_afco_heat_exchanger__94024.1421939125.1200.1200.jpg

80284PRO - $799.00
at_exchanger_with_fans__74786.1421937761.1200.1200.png

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does this compare to the upgraded heat exchanger that Whipple already offers?

OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How does this compare to the upgraded heat exchanger that Whipple already offers?

Very similar, both serve the same purpose with about the same benefits. I don't know the exact capacity difference. The Whipple Heat Exchanger is way more expensive when purchased seperately from the Supercharger kit, but if purchased when ordering the blower it is still about $100 more than the AFCO.

We have used AFCO for over a decade now with Lightning F-150's, Cobra's, Shelbys, and Various Mustang applications. They are one of the best Heat exchangers available on the market and outperform many of their competitors.

On a Roush Supercharged Raptor your going to see a tremendous drop in IAT and Coolant temp. The Factory Roush Heat exchangers are small and very thin. Roush has their own upgraded unit and even an option to run twin heat exchangers but that still does not perform as well as the AFCO unit as it still holds more capacity and covers more useable surface area behind the grill.

The Standard Whipple unit is fairly efficient, you will still see and improvement when using an AFCO unit however. It won't be as large a gain as we see on Roush trucks but for the cost it's worth the gain. If planing on going to the Whipple HD unit, this is comparable for less cost!

JimIII

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The AFCO one is probably close to Whipple's first Gen HD HE with fans. ( the one I have )
But Whipple's 2nd Gen HD HE with fans holds almost a gallon more then the first Gen HD HE.

Either way a bigger HE with fans is the way to go!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The AFCO one is probably close to Whipple's first Gen HD HE with fans. ( the one I have )
But Whipple's 2nd Gen HD HE with fans holds almost a gallon more then the first Gen HD HE.

Either way a bigger HE with fans is the way to go!

Actually.....I have all 3 in house so I took some measurements and noticed a few differences.

The Original Whipple Heat Exchanger was much smaller than the AFCO unit. Also is was a single pass rather than a dual pass. The Whipple measured 23 1/2" across, 10" tall, and 1 3/4" thick. The AFCO was massive compared next to it, measuring 26" across, 15" tall, and 2 1/2" thick. The extra surface area and thicker core are going to be a massive improvement cooling. As well the larger tanks on the sides of the core and the fact that it is dual pass means the coolant stay in the Heat exchanger twice as long while air passes through the fins to lower the coolant temp.

The New Whipple is about the same size. Its only 23 1/2" across, but 18 1/2" tall and 2 1/2" thick as well. But the fact that it is taller doesnt even matter because that extra surface area is hidden behind the bumper not getting any air flow. Actually the Whipple HE sits about 5-6" below the bumper line causing a good chunk of the Heat exchanger not to see any air flow. Now the AFCO unit is almost 3" wider which covers more "useable" surface area behind the grill. This could prove to make it better. The tanks on either side of the core are much smaller then the afco tanks as well. I would be that the AFCO and Whipple hold about the same amount of fluid.

When running fans the AFCO design is much better! The fans sit behind HE not in front of it block critical Airflow like the Whipple does. We only prefer fans for heavy traffic conditions or off road slow pace driving. When your moving and you have open airflow going through the grill the fans aren't helping you. Only when air flow going across the heat exchanger becomes stagnant do fans help. We use them on our Drag race cars to cool down in between runs.

Now real world testing would be to do some datalogging on the same vehicle in back to back conditions testing all the options. From what I can tell you dollar to dollar is the AFCO is a much better deal and if not just as good maybe more efficient than the new designed Whipple unit.

Whipple HE "useable" surface area
11078129_10153303759345139_7599573435392684616_n.jpg

AFCO Dual Pass tanks
11221528_10153303759195139_2043771422749550248_n.jpg

AFCO Tanks 1 3/4" thick
996121_10153303759420139_9020713533500826825_n.jpg

Whipple Tanks 1 1/4" thick
11295647_10153303759175139_2587579824540762034_n.jpg

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Jim111, don't miss understand me!

I'm not saying Whipple's is better or anything,
I was just pointing out that the Whipple HD HE you are showing is the Gen. 2 HD HE with the new pump and reservoir location.
But I also didn't know the fans were behind the HE, or you just haven't added them yet?
We have talked about the HE in the past on other threads and I always said the fans need to be behind the HE helping push the air past the condenser and radiator.
I have the Gen. 1 HD HE with fans in front which I upgraded two years ago from their original upgrade kit (the small one without fans)

DSCN0580 800x600.jpg

My understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, the Whipple HD HE you are showing is even bigger then the one I have now, right?
Also the air is not being block totally by the bumper you do have the two small inlets on either side of the license plate and what ever gets pass the license plate.

I'm going to add a video I made today driving home at speed and then sitting in traffic all the stats will be live.
If you can show me when you have an opportunity what the AFCO can do and it preforms better than what I'm getting now.
I'll be all over that AFCO system PDQ!!!!

Here's the Vid but I need to redo it, some how it didn't convert correctly. The live PID icons are off the screen a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WBc7ydllEs&feature=youtu.be

As you can see driving the IAT is at ambient but as soon as I hit the traffic it will climb up to 100 until the truck cools down again from being at speed.

The real test would be, running off-road hard an see what holds up better at keeping the IAT down.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL, this year traffic has been ridiculous! this is 6:30 pm

I use Torque Pro Android app and BT OBD11 scanner, I have a thread about it somewhere.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f12/torque-pro-app-android-bluetooth-obd2-13742/

Also keep in mind I'm running a 170 thermostat and the Tuner has my radiator fans set to 80% at 180 degrees and won't go to 100% till 185.
I have a Tune that keeps the radiator fans on all the time and if I throw the 160 degree thermostat in this will bring everything down more,
but the tuner recommends leaving this tune in until I get Dyno time and he can check everything will work correctly at 160 degrees.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JimIII@JDM

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jim111, don't miss understand me!

I'm not saying Whipple's is better or anything,
I was just pointing out that the Whipple HD HE you are showing is the Gen. 2 HD HE with the new pump and reservoir location.
But I also didn't know the fans were behind the HE, or you just haven't added them yet?
We have talked about the HE in the past on other threads and I always said the fans need to be behind the HE helping push the air past the condenser and radiator.
I have the Gen. 1 HD HE with fans in front which I upgraded two years ago from their original upgrade kit (the small one without fans)

View attachment 64575

My understanding and correct me if I'm wrong, the Whipple HD HE you are showing is even bigger then the one I have now, right?
Also the air is not being block totally by the bumper you do have the two small inlets on either side of the license plate and what ever gets pass the license plate.

I'm going to add a video I made today driving home at speed and then sitting in traffic all the stats will be live.
If you can show me when you have an opportunity what the AFCO can do and it preforms better than what I'm getting now.
I'll be all over that AFCO system PDQ!!!!

Here's the Vid but I need to redo it, some how it didn't convert correctly. The live PID icons are off the screen a little.

As you can see driving the IAT is at ambient but as soon as I hit the traffic it will climb up to 100 until the truck cools down again from being at speed.

The real test would be, running off-road hard an see what holds up better at keeping the IAT down.

The Whipple HD Heat exchanger we are showing we orderd about 3 months ago so it is fairly new or would be their newer design. We ordered it with out fans because we didn't like how they mounted in front. We designed the tank that is in the picture and the pump location, that is not Whipples design.

Those two smaller grill openings are below the heat exchanger, the portion of the heat exchanger that sits below the grill opening is completely blocked by the bumper. I looked beneath it through those openings to see and they sit at least 1-2" below the bottom of the HE.

As soon as we can get a truck in here to install one of these we are going to test the difference in IATS. We are just short handed in the shop at the moment and our appointment book is over flowing!

JimIII

---------- Post added at 09:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

Where is that IAT reading from the air inlet or the manifold? The IAT reading is always going to be about 10* above ambient when your sitting still because your just measuring the air temp at the intake, as soon as you start moving even a couple mph it is going to lower. IAT2 is the reading after the supercharger when the air has been compressed and heats up inside the manifold and that is what you need to compare when showing the benefits of the Heat exchanger and the fans.

JimIII

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure if the HD HE has changed since I purchased mine, I'll give Whipple a shout and get that clarified.
I do agree about the fan location, I've been looking at that for a long time now.
I almost want to put four smaller ones in the back of the HE and cover the whole surface.

Also $100 is $100, could fill up the tank one and a half times. LOL

The IAT reading is coming from the PCM, it's supposed to be the manifold sensor according to Ian Hawkins that made the App.
I did ask him about that, if I do a hard pull that IAT reading will jump right up.

I could give you the PID code it's using to pull the info from the PCM if you want.
It's using Ford or global Code (0f) for IAT.
Ambient air is (46)

Update 6/14/2015:

I have the info on Whipple's new second gen. HD HE with fans and larger reservoir positioned under the HE.
It holds over 3 gallons of coolant, over a gallon more than the first gen HD HE with fans, the original HE holds even less.

Last edited: