Roush Supercharger with Upgraded Whipple Intercooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roush Supercharger with Upgraded Whipple heat exchanger

Guys,
Since I can not get my local Whipple installer to accept my $9k, I am about to pull the trigger on the Roush Stage 1 kit as I can get my trusted local mechanic to install and then get the warranty coverage on my 2k mile 2013.

The question I have is, what is the general consensus on the upgraded whipple heat exchanger. I am thinking of buying the Roush kit and the whipple HE from Team JDM. I noticed on my GT500 the power took a big hit here in Denver on hot days.

Any thoughts on if the almost $1k is worth it?
Thanks
Dennis

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because of that freaking heat wave we just went through, mine is on order, and the Roush SC generates even more heat.

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because of that freaking heat wave we just went through, mine is on order, and the Roush SC generates even more heat.

Thanks for absolutely nothing "Whipp-troll" you continue to add little value other than to consistently misrepresent Roush over your fanboy love affair with Whipple.

I hate to be a **** on the forums but it is really tiring listening to all the BS you spread.

In talking to a couple Whipple dealers, they suggest the upgrade is not worth it unless I live in Florida or Houston where it is much more often hot and humid.

svt boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GT500 5.4 runs really really hot--I can feel the heat pooring out of the tranny tunnel in the middle of summer....but I honestly don't know how hot the 6.2 runs in the summer.

The issues is hot high do the IAT's get, and how much timing is pulled from the motor. So, if for some reason you are getting on the gas over and over again when it is warm (and at elevation no less in your case) you will definately see less power...with the heat exchanger it will help that situation. My feeling is that it is not as much of an issue with the Raptor's as the GT500, due to the nature of the car etc.

Someone needs to do some before and after datalogging this summer...maybe I will do it.

Stealthf1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dnewman, I was running my kit with longtube headers in some of the hottest and humid weather last year on the truck, it still ran like a scalded ape. Colder weather it turned into a monster, nothing compared to it now with SHPs 675 tune. They guys at the shop are looking at the new heat exchanger esp with our upcoming mods and just for the fact of the area I live in and our usual route of going with larger heat exhangers so im def thinking about slapping it on. Honestly bud, I would say go for it if you want to spend the cash on it. But it's def not needed.

Damn MTF, are you still trash talkin Roush and getting into trouble? Lol.

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dnewman, I was running my kit with longtube headers in some of the hottest and humid weather last year on the truck, it still ran like a scalded ape. Colder weather it turned into a monster, nothing compared to it now with SHPs 675 tune. They guys at the shop are looking at the new heat exchanger esp with our upcoming mods and just for the fact of the area I live in and our usual route of going with larger heat exhangers so im def thinking about slapping it on. Honestly bud, I would say go for it if you want to spend the cash on it. But it's def not needed.

Damn MTF, are you still trash talkin Roush and getting into trouble? Lol.

Perfect, thats the feedback I look for. I will be ordering tomorrow sans upgraded HE. BTW, I also am ordering the gauge kit in your avatar. I really think that looks sweet!

Sorry to others for the rant above, I have been researching superchargers for over 6 months, i have seen MTF post Roush uses a Whipple SC, to "Whipple WILL NEVER HAVE A TUNE FOR LT AND THAT IS FINAL" and a bevy of other misleading comments, and it gets on my nerves. I shouldn't say that now he knows my buttons :)

Again thanks for the feedback.
Dennis

Whipple Charged

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Perfect, thats the feedback I look for. I will be ordering tomorrow sans upgraded HE. BTW, I also am ordering the gauge kit in your avatar. I really think that looks sweet!

Sorry to others for the rant above, I have been researching superchargers for over 6 months, i have seen MTF post Roush uses a Whipple SC, to "Whipple WILL NEVER HAVE A TUNE FOR LT AND THAT IS FINAL" and a bevy of other misleading comments, and it gets on my nerves. I shouldn't say that now he knows my buttons :)

Again thanks for the feedback.
Dennis

To be very clear, we originally stated that we would not release a LT tune. But, we went out of our way to help a customer, and after 1000's of hours of testing, data, etc we decided to offer the cal and try to recoup some of the investment. Therefore, we, not MTF changedo our stance and offering.

The fact is, the Roush is a smaller roots type SC, that must turn higher rpms. It has a smaller intercooler, smaller air intake system and a rear feed. When you add a roots-type, smaller intercooler, smaller intake and rear inlet, you get hotter IAT's. Larger HE's almost always help the power maintain and be far more consistent in different conditions and tougher running conditions.

OP
OP
D

dnewman9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be very clear, we originally stated that we would not release a LT tune. But, we went out of our way to help a customer, and after 1000's of hours of testing, data, etc we decided to offer the cal and try to recoup some of the investment. Therefore, we, not MTF changedo our stance and offering.

The fact is, the Roush is a smaller roots type SC, that must turn higher rpms. It has a smaller intercooler, smaller air intake system and a rear feed. When you add a roots-type, smaller intercooler, smaller intake and rear inlet, you get hotter IAT's. Larger HE's almost always help the power maintain and be far more consistent in different conditions and tougher running conditions.

I do not doubt you are correct. What I struggle with is how to quantify better, or worse. In the end I chose Roush after talking with a few of the vendors who sell both including Galpin when I was out at SEMA. They claimed that while the top end power was better with Whipple, the Roush was more snappy down low. I exchanged correspondence with they guys who built the Luxury Raptor, and the guy who owned it and they were VERY happy with the Roush, and locally a guy who has a brand new velociraptor here in Colorado who was happy with their Roush based platform.

I PM'd you the details but to be clear I tried my hardest to spend 9k on a Whipple with install, primarily because I like the sound, but could not get it done. I also tried to buy your upgraded HE and your resellers talked me out of it.

If you want my business, let me use my local ASE certified shop I trust with all my vehicles do the install, and let me see if its too late to order through Team JDM? I am willing to give it a second shot, but I am not going to beg anyone to take my hard earned cash regardless of how good they think their product is. I would hope you agree that is fair?
Dennis