Roush Intake Fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for you all who have the Roush intake installed.

Does your filter (the rubber end piece) essentially rub against the inside of the Roush lid?

I wasn't able to get any better clearance, but have heard a groaning noise a couples times under throttle since I installed it and I'm wondering if the filter is vibrating off the lid, which is causing that sound.

Should the rubber of the filter be touching the box?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may show you what it should look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ZS3ILfBVE

Sadly no, it doesn't help with the issue.

I spoke to Roush on the phone and apparently they pulled a shrewd one on everyone.

If you look at the installation instructions, you'll see a "mix" of pictures. Some pictures show the conical filter, while others show a filter that has a bend put into it.

Well, in speaking with Roush, they said that they consolidated part numbers since they first offered this intake, and determined they would get rid of the filter with a bend in it (that came originally) and go strictly with the conical one. As such, its "possible the clearance was eliminated". And they won't do anything about it and discontinued the other filter. So essentially, yes they changed it, no they don't care.

In looking at other threads, the groan, I've seen on this forum that people have discussed a resonance on other intakes, does it essentially sound like a hollow metal drone? It only happens under light throttle when the truck is already going 40+mph and I lightly touch the throttle from coasting. Otherwise, I can't help but think that the filter is shaking the box and making it groan to death.

I'm wondering if I would push a washer under hte bolt if that would push the filter downward a little and help with the clearance?

RaptorSS

Reaction score
My filter is touching the box, I have no noise or groan though.
20180322_151351_zpsuk5pa9aq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

OP
OP
S

Swacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My filter is touching the box, I have no noise or groan though.
20180322_151351_zpsuk5pa9aq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thank you for your feedback. If thats the case, then that means the groan is coming from somewhere else.

When I nudge down on the tube, I notice that the filter will move UP and actually lift the box and I hear "play" in the lid. I loosened all of the clamps, tweaked the tube (which didn't move much), and retightened down, and there wasn't as much play in the tube anymore.

It seems to be more prevalent as the temperature goes up, which is why I'm thinking the interference fit is causing the sound due to thermal expansion. So I'll see if that adjustment helped at all.

I've installed intakes on several of my cars and I've never had to make these "adjustments" before.

97duc748

Reaction score
Did either of you notice a power increase for the Roush CAI? I am getting ready to purchase a Gen 1 and at some point will need to replace the air filter. I usually try to get a replaceable filter, especially if there is an option that give more power and still provides the same level of protection. The Roush model looks nice with the airbox change too.

doodman4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the Roush CAI on my Gen 1 and I get a groan/hollow noise right around 1500 rpm just as i’m starting to accelerate. Is this the same/similar situation as yours OP, and did you ever find a solution? Or is that “just how it is”?

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow and I thought I was crazy! I BELIEVE I’m hearing the same with my roush CAI. Its hard to describe, but it seems like it fits the description from what you guys saying. It is only around 1500 rpm’s with lite throttle, and while costing/ in motion. Will not do it at idle. To me it does sound like a hollow, metallic drone. Almost like the sound that scraping to large rocks together ? I installed my CAI at the same time I installed the resonator delete pipe and I’m too lazy to un -install one to see if it changes . Only reason why it bothers me is because it doesn’t sound QUITE normal.