Prepping for tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I go with the 5* tune, anyone have experience keeping exhaust stock? I like the sound of the stock exhaust, and don't want to go louder for long road trips. Intake would be ok if I need it, but I'm assuming I can plug in my tune and roll?

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tune will not impact your exhaust sound. The main benefit will be better shift points and throttle response.

OP
OP
aR4CE

aR4CE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your tune will not impact your exhaust sound. The main benefit will be better shift points and throttle response.

Of course- I was wondering if most tuners suggest pairing it with intake/exhaust.

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course- I was wondering if most tuners suggest pairing it with intake/exhaust.

You will see more benefit with a CAI and after market exhaust, but the shift points and throttle response on a good tune will make it feel like an all new truck either way.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torrin is exactly correct. You get more with exhaust and CAI, but the tune alone will help a bunch. Once you get the fever and see the improvement you will want more. See my signature line, I also didn't want a crazy loud, but wanted the increased hp, torque, and breathability from exhaust. The muffler I used really gives you both. Had to keep it under control as this is the family travel truck. It is only loud on the start. Idle and cruises fairly quiet.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you on the stock exhaust, I like the sound and the exhaust is big enough to handle 700+ HP. I'm proof of that.
Just a good Hi-Flow filter ( like K&N, S&B, etc....) replacement is also good enough. That I would recommend doing.
Filter and Tune should yield around 25 to 30 more HP
Unless you want every little bit of HP go all the way.

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:

torrin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I bought a CAI for my 2012, then sold the truck and bought a super charged 2014, that is a big upgrade in power! :)

DezertRacer

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

This is correct, even just removing the resonator will give you a small amount of town change . I run the 5* 91 performance now with a Injen tuned intake system and a Roush exhaust . The combo is great . let me know if i can help you get anything ordered up . We are a vendor for both 5* and Injen .