GEN 1 Power steering upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for some feed back on what's worked and what I can do to keep from blowing my power steering pump.

I've researched but none of the resevoirs or coolers seem to be in stock from any vendor or even the howe pump. What gives?

I've taken my raptor out at the trails 3 times now and 2 times the pump gave out on me. Well the second time was my fault trying to do donuts in the sand. Clocked the wheel too far. Other than watching my steering manners what else would u gentlemen recommend to get the best out of of my power steering? I'm thinking a howe pump and rpg reservoir with cooler and in line filter?

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been told that the RPG reservoir is just a Howe reservoir with RPG branding. If that is true, then looking for a Howe reservoir might be the way to go.

I have heard mixed reviews about the PSS reservoir with some reporting leaking/seepage issues, and others who say it worked great, so YMMV.

McKenzies is a good place to find all kinds of hard to find off road stuff. It looks like they *may* have the Howe reservoirs in stock but your best bet would be to call them. They are nice people there and will do their best to get you sorted out.

Going with a cooler is a good idea. I have read that PSS uses CBR coolers so that would be a good choice (but I can't find anything like that online at the moment). This writeup by Mil T also looks like a clean solution.

OP
OP
R

Raptor1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link. Thank you for the info bigrig.

Why ford used a stock pump on these raptors is beyond me. I will check out the new contender. This may cause a setback for a whipple supercharger :(

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In addition to the afore mentioned upgrades, I read on here to replace PS fluid each time you change the oil... I got some Motorcraft fluid from the dealer and use a siphon pump to suck out the fluid from my reservoir then replace with new stuff. I do this about every 1,000 miles as cheap insurance. Also, it gives me something to **** around with when I'm not busy with work.

OP
OP
R

Raptor1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That second option is definately more within my budget. The cooler doesn't look too up to the task in my opinion. What is your thoughts on a b&m oil cooler? Would that work for power steering or a bit overkill?

D

Deleted member 12951

NE Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t fit with my Baja Designs 40” OnX6 behind the grill unfortunately.
I’ve been talking with my son and was thinking of going back to the stock reservoir and buying a cooler with dual fans and he was going to make a bracket to fit between the frame down below and work with my 40” bar.

You are correct. The placement we chose is to maximize cool air exposure to the reservoir to keep the fluid temps down. Unfortunately this location doesn't allow for a 40" behind the grille lightbar.

But you've already got enough light on the front of that thing, you won't even notice it's missing

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

That second option is definately more within my budget. The cooler doesn't look too up to the task in my opinion. What is your thoughts on a b&m oil cooler? Would that work for power steering or a bit overkill?

If you're a donut guy (and some of us are) a bigger cooler couldn't hurt. I've been using the standard cooler with no issues no far.