Power steering cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know you off-road enough that you need a reservoir to prevent cavitation and air in the plumbing. It seems that most of the problems with power steering are related to turbulence and not overheating. So you could just add a cooler without improving your stock reservoir, but it would be a poor choice.

Did some years come without a cooler?

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some years come without a cooler?

If I am not mistaken, all Raptors have the PS fluid running through the Radiator for cooling. The way I mounted mine was to run from the PS fluid reservoir to the cooler in the radiator then out to the extra PS cooler then back to the PS reservoir. This is what adds the cooling and volume and should allow for less cavitation etc.

Mil T

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, all Raptors have the PS fluid running through the Radiator for cooling. The way I mounted mine was to run from the PS fluid reservoir to the cooler in the radiator then out to the extra PS cooler then back to the PS reservoir. This is what adds the cooling and volume and should allow for less cavitation etc.

Mil T

Actually it's the condenser. But yes you are correct.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Completed my RPG-PSR and cooler install today, continued from first post
1st-- 2 pic's- the cooler brackets I made them with a 3/4 off set so I can get the cooler placed under the hood latch and closer to the radiator, to keep it out of harms way.
The rest of the pic's are cooler bracket and cooler placement, the install is the same as RPG, and ICON, the only thing I did different was remove the small factory molded hose that comes out of the factory cooler back the the reservoir. In its place I used russell's twist-lok hose that I already had, from past car builds.
My install and plumbing is as follows, RPG reservoir installed, with the fittings that are supplied by RPG, -12AN connected to factory feed to PS-pump, factory line to factory PS-cooler, out of factory PS-cooler to AUX- cooler (using my twist-lock hose and -6AN fittings), AUX-cooler outlet back to RPG PS-Reservoir,(this is where I removed the factory hose). I will be adding the magnefine performance edition inline filter to this set up.

This write up was for the cooler that can be purchased for 27.00 vs 99.00, and the cooler can be purchased with standard hose ends,I chose the route of -6AN fittings, the savings comes to play, if you choose the RPG PS-RESERVOIR, not to big of a savings if you chose the ICON PS-RESERVOIR AND COOLER, but I like to tinker with stuff, so any money saved is money to use on something else.

Cooler mounting brackets.jpg

Cooler mounting brakets-2.jpg

Cooler brackets installed.jpg

Cooler mounted.jpg

Cooler mounted and Plumbed.jpg

RPG Reservoir Mounted-1.jpg

RPG Reservoir Mounted-2.jpg

Last edited:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
great job. i cant remember, are u going to the KHC meet in a couple weeks? then i can check this out in person. im going to pull the trigger on a RPG PSR and magnefine performance edition inline filter soon. so it would be good to do it all at the same time

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guy's for the comp, I ordered the magnefine performance filter, thank god I used AN FITTINGS, makes it easy to go back and install, nick I'm going to be at KHC open house , your more than welcome to dig around under the hood.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Power steering upgrade totaly done, added the MAGNEFINE Performance Edition filter to the system, well worth 119.00, replaceable filter for mantainence, nice solid aluminun filter housing and bracket, cooling fines machined into housing, -6AN fittings, inlet/outlet. 1st found my loction for placement, 2nd made a wedge looking bracket, 3rd drilled 2-holes in radiator support, and used two 1/4-20 rivnut inserts to mount bracket ( you can't get your hand behind it to use nuts ) completed install placing filter after the cooler returning to the reservoir. ALL fittings are russell's twist-lok, and twist-lok hose -6AN.

Here's the link if anyone wants it,http://www.magnefinefilters.com/

Magnefine performance edition-1.jpg

Holes for filter bracket.jpg

Filter bracket placement..jpg

Magnefine PE filter-1.jpg

Magnefine PE filter-2.jpg

Magnefine  PE filter-3.jpg

Last edited: