Power steering cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quick question, can you add the cooler without buying the PSS reservoir?

On Icon's site it states:
"For additional heat dissipation this optional upgrade package includes an inline power steering cooler that is mounted in direct air flow through the front grill. This cooler mounts to the core support and is tucked up high so radiator cooling is not compromised. You must have the PSS Power Steering Reservoir for this to work, these work in conjunction with each other"

If this is the case, including the cooler with your Icon/PSS reservoir purchase only increases the price by $50, so your not saving a whole lot buying the Derale cooler and all of the fittings sperately from the Icon reservoir. I know the op is using the RPG reservoir which cost less than the Icon.

So, If I only wanted to add the Derale cooler, without upgrading the stock reservoir could I? Pros/Cons?

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine has a power steering cooler from the factory, are you saying that $27 one is better?

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On Icon's site it states:
"For additional heat dissipation this optional upgrade package includes an inline power steering cooler that is mounted in direct air flow through the front grill. This cooler mounts to the core support and is tucked up high so radiator cooling is not compromised. You must have the PSS Power Steering Reservoir for this to work, these work in conjunction with each other"

If this is the case, including the cooler with your Icon/PSS reservoir purchase only increases the price by $50, so your not saving a whole lot buying the Derale cooler and all of the fittings sperately from the Icon reservoir. I know the op is using the RPG reservoir which cost less than the Icon.

So, If I only wanted to add the Derale cooler, without upgrading the stock reservoir could I? Pros/Cons?

Sure you can add just a cooler, I chose to go the fitting route, you can choose the fitting route, or the barbed ends, always being done on hot rods, and street cars for the added cooling. Bigger and better one's are added to the trans, for the off road guys, why not, cheap insurance.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

Mine has a power steering cooler from the factory, are you saying that $27 one is better?

No one is saying it's better ,but then again it is better, because your adding more cooling to what is there, adding more volume of fluid than what is there, knocking out cavitation , all the above to save or add life to the pump, look up power steering upgrades in the search engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More fluid yes, how much? I can't answer being mine is not complete yet, but the members who have done the mod can answer that.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone tried installing this setup or comparable to this setup with behind grill 30" and 40"?
Would it still work or I'd have to do away with my 30"?

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know you off-road enough that you need a reservoir to prevent cavitation and air in the plumbing. It seems that most of the problems with power steering are related to turbulence and not overheating. So you could just add a cooler without improving your stock reservoir, but it would be a poor choice.