Power steering cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 3 days of thinking and searching for POWER STEERING COOLERS, and NOT being BENT OVER or HIT OVER THE HEAD for a 100 + dollors, I found this, hope it saves the DIY people some money.
I purchased a RPG power steering reservoir 199.00, and the following power steering cooler for 27.97, I chose to use the cooler with -6AN fittings over the hose barb, getting rid of the hose clamps, and 2-RUSSELL TWIST-LOK -6AN FEMALE to -6AN HOSE BARB 12.00, TOTAL OF 239.00 , When complete, it will be around 28.00 more if you chose to purchase RUSSELL twist-Lok, OR summit's twist tite brand, I went russell fittings for the fact I didn't want blue and red mix on my fittings, cooler info and part # as follows

DERALE COOLER-13220, 1 1/2 X 17 X 1 1/2, with 11/32 hose barb ends, 29.97

DERALE COOLER-13221, 1 1/2 X 17 X 1 1/2, with -6AN male fittings, 27.97

DERALE COOLER-13224 1 1/2 X 24 X 1 1/2, with 11/32 hose barb ends, 33.97

DERALE COOLER-13225, 1 1/2 X 24 X 1 1/2, WITH -6AN fittings, 33.97

I posted the bigger coolers if some choose to go bigger, I used DERALE #13221.

Here's a few pic's untill final install. will post new pic's when done, hope it saves members some cash, It is the coorect size, PURCHASED --(SUMMIT RACING )

DERALE COOLER 13221.jpg

COOLER AND -6AN FITTINGS.jpg

COOLER AND -6AN FITTINGS -2.jpg

COOLER PLACEMENT.jpg

Cooler brackets.jpg

Cooler bracket side shot..jpg

Last edited:

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at that one too but went with pss. CBR makes the pss cooler. So the quality is top notch, but the real reason I went with the icon product was the bracket. I wasn't sure the the tabs for the derale would hold up to off roading and the pss is spaced in front of the radiator for better air circulation. All that being said..the set up you got is going to improve your power steering performance over stock. Install hint- use a heat gun to help with stiff fittings on the reservoir.

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Measured out a friends cooler, then did some searching, didn't find any like it on CBR'S sight, and the derales matches exact, brackets, spacing and so on, the brackets are fixed to the end fins and cooler tube ,but thanks for the info, info and imput from others is whats makes this sight great, also I added the bracket pic's.
Any one who want to go way over bord, best choice would be billit cooler or plate and fin cooler.

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the idea and the set up you put together there. I am gonna have to do something pretty soon, I am changing ps fluid almost as much as I am changin underwear just to keep it viable and working like it should. It's gettin old...lol

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After java posted, I desided to take a 27.00 chance, and twisted and pried the brackets, and those puppies are on there solid ,not going anywear, unless you make some cheap ass brackets,and if the brackets on the cooler brake its gonna tear the cooler apart, and shit every thing up with power steering fluid, and that would be the case with a 10 dollor cooler or a 400 dollor cooler, So Im happy with my choice.

Last edited:

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. Interested in the rest of the write up. I feel like Im gonna need this mod for TRR and the Texas heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mod won't be do until march 8th or 9th, reservoir will be showing up on the 3rd, so have to wait for the weekend,if weather permit's , Tiered of the snow.lol

OP
OP
J DAMAGE

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes , mod, better reservoir, RPG, OR ICON, and added cooler, sold as kits, or DIY, like posted. look up power steering upgrade in search, all info is there.